• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opinions about "Game rules as used by players"
05-22-2016, 06:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2016, 06:13 AM by Weasel.)
RE: Opinions about "Game rules as used by players"
(05-21-2016, 04:48 AM)Spledge Wrote: I applaud having some standard set of rules that most people also appreciate.

B. The rule regarding restricting infantry from firing on an armored unit doesn't seem "right" for two reasons: 1) It's what I am/was used to doing over a decade plus of playing SP while some of the time being coached by more senior players that were also interested in NOT using gamey tactics. And 2) it seems that in reality an infantry unit may take a few shots at a tank in the effort of catching the tank's crew riding around with their heads out of a porthole or maybe hitting a sensor or optical piece.

I hope these rules do help you find a happy place in your games that are balanced for your style of play. 

As pertaining to rule B above, the rule as written is thus:  any infantry can shoot at a tank that is adjacent to them, regardless of their A.T. capability (in other words, they can always close assault).  Otherwise they may only shoot out to their A.T. range and must stop once their A.T. shots are finished (now sitting at 0).  This second part is designed to prevent players from hosing down tanks with MGs, rifles, bows and arrows etc to build up suppression, soak off defensive shots and change the facing of the tank so that once the target no longe responds to fire the attacking player can move his tank out without fear of return fire and thus blast away.

Is it restrictive?, yes if you prefer a wide open game, but is it more realistic, in my opinion I think it is and is also adds complexity to the game, you must think more.

Anyway, as stated these rules are not forced house rules, they are presented as an option and players may use some, none or all of them if they wish.

As always I am more than willing to discuss things like this and am open to ideas that are playtested to improve these rules.

@Bigduke66:  Taking German WW2 as example, there is surely no need to buy FOs for mortars attached at platoon level, fire by those units should simply be plotted by the platoon/company CO of the infantry. Same counts for the mortars of the MG/heavy weapon company as these directly support the 1st to 3rd infantry company. Fire by them should simply be plotted by the company CO of the MG/heavy weapon company or the battalion CO which the MG/heavy weapon company serves.

If you mean the 50mm mortars then no, you don't need a FOO as they are organic just like an MG and have a very short range.  If you are speaking of 60mm with a 1500m range, then yes you need a FOO.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opinions about "Game rules as used by players" - by Weasel - 05-22-2016, 06:10 AM