• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns
04-21-2016, 07:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016, 02:54 PM by Volcano Man.)
RE: FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns
In F14 the campaign's VP levels were changed drastically, combined with the removal of forward objectives from earlier versions of the campaign scenario. This makes it where the allies do not have to feel like they need to defend the terrain in their forward positions, and it also makes it where if the Germans can defeat an army (or at least bleed the French heavily) if the allies refuse to fall back, and still win. Most importantly though, the VP levels were cut down enough that casualties actually matter (in v1 the allies could throw concerns about casualties out the window and sacrifice full armies for time).

I have already seen a situation in the new campaign where the allies sacrificed an army for VPs and I am happy with it (the VPs given up will essentially make up for the time lost, thereby making it that the Germans do not have to take as many objectives, or many not even at all to win).  As ComradeP said, of course a good allied commander will realize that it is better to fight a delaying action across the map than to dig in and hold from the start (although they cannot afford to fight a delaying action around Nancy, that place has to hold - and the Germans can use that as a Verdun like grind). Even still, most allied players I have seen (from results sent to me and from participating in campaigns myself) still choose to hold-at-all-costs and this does not work in their favor. It only introduces the likelyhood that the defense will reach critical mass to the point where it cannot effectively defend or delay for the other half of the campaign. What I mean is, the allies can get to a point in the campaign where they have delayed the Germans for a week or so, but if it means they lose all their "glue" in the process (all MGs sections and field guns) then after they crack, the allies, at least in that sector, have no chance at all to hold the Germans at that point as infantry-only forces can be brushed aside.

As usual though, it all depends on how your opponent(s) play. You may find that the German advance will end up days behind but that it becomes irrelevant because you can grind down the allies for VPs (seen it). Obviously the ideal strategy would be to hold in defense for as long as possible and counter attack where possible to keep the Germans off balance, but know when to fall back and repeat. This is the approach that draws off the most time while giving up as few VPs in "the grind" as possible. Just falling back immediately and all the time would be too quick though, I think. Then again, it is certainly possible to pull back early and often with the allies at the start, then in the last third of the campaign dig in and hold at all costs somewhere (historically this was the Marne).

As for more turns added, I just don't see it as necessary at the present time. I suppose it could be done in F14 and not in EP14 (they don't have to be identical), just out of the idea that the west needs more time than the east does, but like I said I haven't seen it as a necessity at this point. The original reasons for not doing this still stand, especially with the higher tactical mobility in recent updates. Again though, a lot of it depends on what both commanders do in the first 2/3rds of the campaign however.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns - by Volcano Man - 04-21-2016, 07:55 AM