• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns
04-17-2016, 06:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2016, 12:15 PM by Volcano Man. Edit Reason: clarification )
RE: FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns
Not sure if the original post is directed to me or what, but all I can say is that it was felt that having 4 night hour turns with dawn/dusk was too "Panzer Campaign like" for 1914, in my view.

The idea was that 1914 and 1915 campaigns would have no dawn/dusk, but would have six hour night turns to limit operations to something I felt was more realistic of the period, at least for the most part. IIRC, the idea was that somewhere around 1917 it would transition to a more literal day cycle to be more similar to Panzer Campaigns in order to allow more activity, and to begin to blur the line between to the two. So, literally, it wasn't dark by 1800 hours, but the turns are limited as they are out of the abstraction of curtailing unrealistic progress. It also helps to make the longer campaigns more manageable in turn count, which might otherwise just be adding additional turns for no good reason. I am also certain the Germans need no help with additional turns in EP14, and they seem to need no help in F14 with the latest change towards quicker movement of units overall.

It is true that there were a few cases of night attacks in 1914 (I recall one along the Marne in the eastern part of the St Gond sector by von Hausen) but this was quite rare and you can be successful in a night attack if you move into assault positions on the last day turn. Also, IMO there are plenty of opportunities to "prepare" during the night turns - in a campaign I am currently playing we (Germans) move our field guns into attack positions two hexes from the enemy line during the night at the expense of having them disrupted, but this is realistic to me as dawn/dusk type movement would produce the same results I think (a sacrifice to get them into close position).

Of course by all means, mod away to your hearts content, but just know that it was limited for a reason. ;)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns - by Volcano Man - 04-17-2016, 06:36 AM