• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread
11-10-2015, 06:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015, 07:19 AM by ComradeP.)
RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread
Lately, whenever I think about how something might work, I find out that I either think that attacks will work in a way that they won't according to the manual (such as thinking that the combined organization penalty also applies to the defender in an assault, which is not the case) or find out that certain specific situations are not covered by the manual as far as I can tell and I don't know how they will work in practice.

In this case, it's the latter: the defender benefits from getting the quality of the best unit when defending in an assault. However, the manual doesn't specify if that best quality unit needs to be undisrupted. The situation I was thinking of was: you have some of those E quality Ost/ear and stomach issues units and stack them with an A/B quality German unit.

The attacker will presumably try to disrupt the good unit first, as they can target it freely because you can select the target of direct fire and can tell it's a good unit based on its unit graphic even without having accurate information on the quality of the unit gained from playing the scenario as the Germans or checking the OOB. The A quality unit can't disrupt as long as it's A quality, so for the sake of the example let's say you have a Disrupted B quality unit.

If the B quality unit is Disrupted, do the defenders still defend at C quality?

Edit: OK, I ran a test with an edited version of Gertsovka with one B quality PzG company and stacked it with a D quality MG platoon. Strangely, after disrupting the B quality unit and turning it into a C quality unit, the Defend modifier was still 25. The Defend modifier wasn't decreased with the lowering of the unit quality, it retained its original value.

Degrading the B quality PzG company to C quality through Fatigue did decrease the Defend modifier to 15 (medium fatigue penalty is -10%, as always the use of the percent symbol is confusing as it is a -10 reduction and not a -10% reduction, I still don't know why it's used like this) but it should theoretically actually be -10 now as the best unit is a fatigued C quality unit.

As before, this is one of the things you never notice if you play PBEM because the odds/formula are not shown with FOW on.

This might be a bug, I'm not sure.

As to why the use of percentages is confusing: what isn't clearly explained is that all the percentage modifiers are applied to a base value of 100, they're not applied in sequence or directly to whatever value they modify (combat value or supply) until all penalties or bonuses have been added/substracted.

If you have 50 combat value and you have a -20% and a -10% penalty, you don't end up with ((50x0.8)x0.9)=36 but with 50x0.7=35. Similarly, supply is always seen as a certain percentage value out of 100, so even though it's given as a number instead of a percentage (say, 70), this actually means 70%. A reduction of 10% means 10% out of the base value of 100, so you end with 60 and not 70x0.9=63
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Friday Update : August 7th - by Strela - 08-07-2015, 11:52 PM
RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - by ComradeP - 11-10-2015, 06:41 AM