• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Multiple Cavalry Melees - some observations
12-18-2014, 03:09 AM,
RE: Multiple Cavalry Melees - some observations
(12-17-2014, 07:48 PM)agmoss99 Wrote: I have played games with this rule on and off. With it ON indeed I can chase a cavalry unit back a number of hexes and then follow up with a charge against what were deemed safe artillery and leaders units. So a bit gamey, yes but I see no 'real life' reason why a retreating/running unit could not be pursued as opportunity arises. Downside is you end up with a number of disordered cavalry units which in their turn become vulnerable, so it's not a tactic I employ on a regular basis.

I think that word sums it up - gamey. Our beloved HPS/JTS simulations lie on a continuum between real-life battle on one end, and very abstract games like Risk. I like to try to keep things up towards the real-life end, which means resisting 'gamey' effects.

A disciplined, formed cavalry unit would not normally break line to pursue fugitives from a melee in which they had not been directly involved unless they were ordered to. I don't think it would happen spontaneously. If it did, then the unit leader would find himself in trouble with his superiors. A squadron might behave differently.

Perhaps therein lies a solution, some kind of house rule for squadrons?

Suggestions welcome.!

(By the way, nice guys always seem to end up with Madagascar, not sure why).
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Multiple Cavalry Melees - some observations - by Eckerslyke - 12-18-2014, 03:09 AM