• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First World War Campaigns - Cavalry Charges
11-30-2014, 02:58 AM,
RE: First World War Campaigns - Cavalry Charges
Again insightful post, thanks.

I guess no one mentioned it because theses situations are very seldom.
It was just that in this Dinant scenario I have a lot cavalry on the German side with only 3 Jäger battalions as infantry but many possible crossings.
And it seems that only the infantry was used to take the Citadel and Dinant, so wondered a bit that I got away with using the cavalry to so much effect and even ended the scenario with a major victory.

BTW I found a small French source that notes some points of the battle, special is that it indicates more French infantry and even some artillery was used to take Dinant back. Also a cut of the Dinant area is there that may lead to an adjustment in the hexfield elevation.
From what I see in that source:
- City should be lowered to be on level with the opposite riverside(100m) and the old castle should be placed higher as it was 100m above the city likely close to 200m. See map for a cut of the area.
- French 8. RI seems missing, it looks like they were assisted by the 73 RI and attacked over the Meuse and retook the city and citadel.
- Also artillery seems missing, something from the 27e RAC and also from the 15e RAC seems to have fired before the French attack at 16.00.
Here the source:
5. Combat de Dinant (15 août 1914)
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: First World War Campaigns - Cavalry Charges - by BigDuke66 - 11-30-2014, 02:58 AM