• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First World War Campaigns - More insight into combat odds
11-21-2014, 05:15 PM,
RE: First World War Campaigns - More insight into combat odds
(11-21-2014, 04:51 PM)ComradeP Wrote: I agree that there should always be some randomness, it is after all what keeps things interesting.

However, I also feel the statistical average of rolls should be the average of your results, roughly. As you'll be firing a lot more than you'll be assaulting, it is quite possible to get a couple bad assault rolls which completely halt your offensive.

In a campaign, this is a minor inconvenience as you have plenty of turns and can keep trying, but in smaller scenarios it can mean you lose purely due to die rolls, which isn't much fun. That's also one of the reasons why placing a large stack in objective hexes in those scenarios can be very effective: it's often not possible to remove them in a timely manner. Gamey? Sure, in a way, but it can be the most efficient way to win and in my opinion the system encourages such behaviour with the way assaults work in combination with both sides using the same stacking limits (that's the main thing leading to the large stack strategy being so effective, by the way, not the way assaults work).

Placing a large stack in objective hexes being an effective tactic - I agree, that´s why I also like the Alt Fire rules - bigger the stack, more casualties Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: First World War Campaigns - More insight into combat odds - by Fhil - 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM