• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wanting to buy HPS Nap Campaign, but hesitating
11-17-2014, 01:58 PM,
RE: Wanting to buy HPS Nap Campaign, but hesitating
(11-17-2014, 01:36 PM)Drakken Wrote: I am newly introduced to John Tiller Operational games, having only bought Smolensk '41 to learn the ropes. Still a bootcamper.

I'm highly interested in trying a Napoleonic Campaign game, but I find myself hesitating. I am not sure if I am ready, as from the screenshots I've seen these are usually massive, or whether they are newbie friendly or not. I have read the whole forum here on whether discussion there was on HPS Napoleon Campaign games, but I am still on the fence.

Should I make the jump? What are the principal differences with Panzer Campaigns? What weaknesses I should expect from the games?

I'm very interested in Napoleon's Russian Campaign, as it is the one campaign in which Napoleon broke his fangs in and so seem to be competitive to play as the Russians. However I do not see a lot of PBEM Campaign games with this particular theater. Also Waterloo is one I'd light to try out.

Thanks!

As someone who has been playing first the Talonsoft, then HPS, and now the JTS Napoleonic games I'd say if the period interests you then you should jump right in. Here is the link to the demo for JTS Waterloo; http://johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php You'll find the AI is pretty stupid so you'll have to figure that they are mostly meant to be played PBEM or possibly against yourself but the last few titles have included scenarios specifically designed for play against the AI so some progress is being made. Most folks seem to gravitate to the larger scenarios but there are a lot of smaller and medium sized scenarios with all the titles as well so you can find what you want to suit you. Napoleon's Russian Campaign is one of the older titles so doesn't seem to get the play it should but I think you can be assured you'll find folks to play against if you go that route. If you jump in feel free to post any questions you have and there will be plenty of folks to help out.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wanting to buy HPS Nap Campaign, but hesitating - by KG_RangerBooBoo - 11-17-2014, 01:58 PM