• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First World War Campaigns - Optional Rules
09-06-2014, 01:00 PM,
RE: First World War Campaigns - Optional Rules
I think one of the reasons I enjoy this series so much (there are a few of us who have developed a near cult like obsession over the last year or two), is that the scenarios are so well balanced, not because history is tweaked, but of the VP locations and amounts etc.
I get the impression that you have not played them much or at all and I would encourage you to do so---I think they model history better than the ACW and NWC games.

I agree completely Jim. Ed channeled the era; he was guided to preserve and protect the memories of the brave men who suffered and died 100 years ago. The First World War Campaigns is a true work of genius, and is the only true Napoleonic game available to us. As I have said many times here, this series accurately simulates the mood and movements of Napoleonic warfare with musket and round shot cannon replaced by machine guns and rapid fire artillery with exploding shells and the resultant horrific casualties. Players have no choice but to adopt Napoleonic strategy and tactics but to then figure out a way to somehow survive in a battle environment to doesn't actually support those movements! For example beginning players, myself included, tend to use MG sections and artillery as tanks, moving them up close and deploying in the enemy's minimum range fire zone; and you can't do that! The game is much too slow for people who are playing WWII PzC games. There are no tanks! There is nothing even closely resembling a tank. The attack is difficult; the defense much easier but even that requires careful tactical planning. jonny Read2
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: First World War Campaigns - Optional Rules - by jonnymacbrown - 09-06-2014, 01:00 PM