• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Civil War Battles - Optional Rules Guide 1.3(4.04.1)
08-01-2014, 03:07 PM,
RE: Optional Rules Guide - HPS/JTS Civil War series
I read that a lot - the 'favours the offense' thing - and if you know where to set up your defensive lines taking advantage of terrain ( including elevation, support your line with artillery on even higher elevations) - you'll probably find that the system is not so favourable to the offense -particularly if you keep your forces under command control at all levels of your OOB - you'll find that not only did you stand up to their rush -that once it comes time for you to take a shot at them in your own offensive fire phase in the next turn -things don't generally turn out so well for the guy that tried to go you initially.

I just love playing guys that dive into me on offense. It is even better when it is part of a linked campaign.

I wouldn't get to worried about an individual combat's results -as if your opponent overplays that - and then turns around and winds up getting cut off -they are dead meat - as all you need to do then is simply win the following melee - and their entire force is wiped off of the map. In that sense what I am saying is - it is all about context of a particular battle and not an individual combat result.

The other thing - is never lose sight of the objective of the scenario that you are playing - sometimes many get way too caught up in things and forget what it is exactly that they are doing (in other words -you can actually get to your opponent and basically goad on some unwise attacks - I guess Lee called it 'having his blood up (for a fight). Otoh- I think I heard that phrase connected with Pickett's Charge which didn't turn out so well for him then either.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Optional Rules Guide - HPS/JTS Civil War series - by -72- - 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM