• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HQ tank units - How do you use them?
04-29-2014, 07:00 PM,
RE: HQ tank units - How do you use them?
I'm not a big fan of the way the small units are handled, also considering the variability of the system when it comes to tank vs. tank results.

The player is more or less encouraged to use 1 or 2 vehicle units in ways that don't match their historical role, nor is there an incentive to keep companies together in a historical manner. This is a problem many wargames have: there are no areas of operation, so all units can be moved around as the player pleases without a decline in combat efficiency provided they're in range of an HQ that actually functions as an HQ (if such a unit is present).

The opportunity fire doesn't take unit size into account, so you can use the small units as tripwires or cheap recon units to spot defences or unit concentrations.

The small units paired with the variability in tank vs. tank combat results (which can mean an HQ unit destroys more tanks than a 10 tank unit) and the way the air combat system was converted (losses seem higher somehow, even though AA is 4 times less effective at range than in PzC, the variability in losses where low attack value units can still kill a higher defence value unit fairly regularly is a problem in my opinion).

Though I appreciate the extra detail, they can function in the cheap way I feared they would.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HQ tank units - How do you use them? - by ComradeP - 04-29-2014, 07:00 PM