• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Am I missing something / Beginners questions
03-25-2014, 12:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-25-2014, 12:37 AM by philsublime.)
RE: Am I missing something / Beginners questions
Thanks for the warm welcome!

(03-25-2014, 12:00 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Generally speaking, the smaller scenarios with bunkers will depend more on you getting a couple of good disruption rolls on the defenders, whilst in the larger scenarios there's more room for a mistake or poor roll.

The point totals in some scenarios are also odd in the sense that more than the on-map VP's are required for a major victory. In a scenario with low points per objective, like Gertsovka, points from guns and vehicles can become quite important, though it can feel gamey to specifically target units with guns for their points.

In Gertsovka, the only way I can win consistently against the AI without spectacular disruption rolls is by killing the mortar unit.

Thank you! When playing a new wargame, I usually try to get some skills on the smaller scenarios, before I try the big ones. This way I can get the mechanics done without "wasting" to much time.

In Gertsovka, I'm just advancing to slow and in the end, there isn't enough time to set up a decent attack on multiple victory hexes. I have to bind my forces on each single victory hex and in the process just lose way too much time.

I played another scenario with a couple of tanks having to get through some marsh terrain (I can't recall the name right now). I planned well and pushed very hard to the victory locations, ignoring losses as a compromise to be able to reach them. I did reach most of them and was quite happy with myself. However, it was still a major defeat, due to the heavy losses. Seems more like a puzzle game than decision making wargaming to me at this point...
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Am I missing something / Beginners questions - by philsublime - 03-25-2014, 12:26 AM