• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

EA or Not? That is the Question!
02-09-2014, 12:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 08:08 PM by Dan Caviness.)
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question!
My 0.02 worth...

Like the Hawk, initially I didn't like EA. Over time I've come to realize, like dawags, it's just another way to play it and you adapt to the rules as they play the game. It's nice to see Erik actually detail some of the new "nuance" to EA, I believe this is the first time I've seen an explanation.

I do like the idea of spreading the damage around so the attacker takes some pain/more damage even when they successfully take the hex to get the job done. More realistic IMHO...

I would like to see it (the "new" EA details) broken down so I can continue to plan assaults with the skill, subtlety and elan' that my opponents have come to expect from my boys in the field...Whistle
So far...the only new facet of EA I've learned is it pays to utilize multiple assaults rather then throw all your eggs into one big push.

So...if the new rules could be detailed so we all have a chance to employ them...please...let's hear all about it. Erik?...educate us further please...

As for playing with it on or off, I find myself OK with letting the opponent make the call. If they have a strong preference, all good, we'll play it however they like.

My only concern is there are some older scenarios, like my Normandy and West Wall scenarios, where I built some really strong defensive positions to account for the old EA surround/disrupt/takeout cha cha cha... I specifically design with PBEM in mind and for advanced players who can assault you into infinity. You know, nut-buster maps! If you play them with EA, and have no idea of how the new rules can make assaults possible, those maps play really tough.

In the end, if the designer has a recommendation, I feel that is the best way to play it, since they know best how their scenario was laid out. If they don't...as above...my opponent can make the call.

Last, and I've said this before, I find it a great "equalizer" for unbalanced scenarios. If the defensive side loses most of the time, play it with EA on. Or vice versa.

OK, that was more like 0.05 worth...but I must say...it's nice to see everyone discussing this in a civilized fashion...including myself...Rolling Eyes

My new meds must be working...Jester

Messages In This Thread
EA or Not? That is the Question! - by Kool Kat - 02-01-2014, 01:21 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-01-2014, 06:57 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-01-2014, 07:36 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-02-2014, 07:51 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-01-2014, 09:00 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-02-2014, 01:48 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by Scud - 02-01-2014, 03:21 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by PawelM - 02-01-2014, 04:16 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by Tide1 - 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by Tide1 - 02-02-2014, 09:50 AM