• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some beginner questions on attacking and assualting.
10-04-2013, 02:38 PM,
RE: Some beginner questions on attacking and assualting.
Great to hear you picked up the gam after trying the Android! Regarding your questions:

1.Direction/facing makes no difference (with the exception of some German coastal artillery in Normandy). The advantage of stacking units and firing them together is they both fire before any enemy defensive fire is taken. But then separate hexes allows one to draw defensive fire while the other is held for an assault, without any risk of it being disrupted early by defensive fire if stacked with a firing unit.

2.Yes, various modifiers are cumulative. There may be some that add rather than apply separately, but I think these are mostly defensive fire modifiers.

3. The only time a defender withdraws from an assault is when the defender is disrupted - either prior to the assault or as a result of the assault - and the attaker has at least one undisrupted assaulting unit. So it is random if the defender is not disrupted before the assault.

4. I generally think more about strength odds in an assault, as I don't play with FOW off normally. I won't normally assault unless the defender is disrupted, unless I have probably 3 times the strength and the defender is already battered from losses, or higher if it is fresh.

5. The higher unit has an advantage in an exchange of fire, as any fire it receives (it may still be the "attacker") will be reduced in strength. The higher unit doesn't have any other advantages. I don't beleive the height modifier applies to an assault.

6. Correct, assaulting with various units types provides no advantage, outside of avoiding penalties in some terrain. And no impact on fire as each shot is resolved separately in the innards of the game, even if made together.

Anything else, let us know.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some beginner questions on attacking and assualting. - by Ricky B - 10-04-2013, 02:38 PM