• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Updated Normandy'44_Alt (third time, 13 AUG)
08-12-2013, 11:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013, 11:16 PM by Strela.)
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt (again, 7 AUG)
(08-12-2013, 12:19 PM)Volcano Man Wrote: All that said, I also do think the Axis breakdown rate should be a LITTLE different than it is too. Let us think about this for a moment: it is a well known fact that German tanks could be considered a highly engineered piece of equipment for its day, which is both a good and a bad thing. This often meant that they were more prone to mechanical failures than simpler (and less effective) allied tanks. Barring giving the "low reliability" flag to all German tank units -- which wouldn't be fair -- at the very least they should always have a higher breakdown rate than the Allies *late in the war* (lets say 1943+). If they do not, then historical advantages such as a extremely reliable T-34 or Sherman tank, cannot be represented because both sides have the same breakdown rate (which is usually around 10%). Furthermore, IIRC, the breakdown rate is dependent on unit quality so this only further complicates the issue making breakdowns for German tanks even less likely than the allies, because they typically always have their tank units in the A and B range, while the allied tank units are typically in the B - D range. This means the allies actually suffer more breakdowns than the Germans do. It gets better: because the German tank units are generally always of higher quality then it usually also means that they are recovering strength faster than the allied tank units, if recovery levels are comparable (and they usually are, typically being 1% to 2% or so). So what does this mean? I think a typical breakdown rate for both sides in most campaigns in PzC should probably always be about 2 times that of the Allies. Rather than doubling the Allied rate here, I think I will make an adjustment to both, instead of 10% for both, I will change it to 6% Allied vs. 12% Axis, as this is not much different than the original, but establishes that 1:2 ratio mentioned above.

I know at least one old former big time PzC player around here that absolutely hated breakdowns, but this is/was a fact of life in armored warfare, and a problem that just had to be adapted to for operational commanders. It sometimes caused tank units to avoid lots of movement, because they didn't want to overwork their vehicles or because they needed to sit while they recovered the already broken down ones. This translates into more realistic behavior too, because commanders must avoid excessive movement, or at the very least, plan the movements better. That said, I am not recommending an extensive change here either, just one that establishes a better relationship between both allied and axis rates.

EDITED: I left out a few divisions the first time I made the post, added now.

VM,

Again I think you're right on the money regarding the morale levels for each of the German Panzer/PG Divisions.

I am wondering though whether there is value in looking at the replacement rates for at least the Panzer battalions via the OB flag? I concur there should be a higher breakdown rate for the Axis vehicles but as I have pointed out in my post they were masters at getting those vehicles back into action. Doing this via the OB would have the advantage of not impacting the Infantry and other arms.

My rationale is that when static and not heavily engaged the Germans would recover and repair their vehicles. When moving or taking part in operations there would be no recovery and the expected attrition. Couple this with your lower starting strengths, the attenuation due to morale and it would be an unwise Axis player who threw all his Panzer Divisions into the line without ensuring ample time to rest or cycle units in or out.

As a compromise maybe a test OB could be setup using variant's to your standard Alt's.

All in all I am really liking the look of what you're suggesting and could even be enough to interest this East Front nut in the West Front!!! Helmet Wink

David
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt - by FM WarB - 08-05-2013, 01:05 AM
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt - by dragonslayer2001 - 08-06-2013, 05:02 AM
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt - by Liquid_Sky - 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt - by Liquid_Sky - 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt - by Volcano Man - 08-07-2013, 06:39 AM
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt - by jonnymacbrown - 08-07-2013, 10:50 AM
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt - by Volcano Man - 08-08-2013, 03:30 AM
RE: Updated Normandy'44_Alt (again, 7 AUG) - by Strela - 08-12-2013, 11:14 PM