• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Problems updating RV under Windows 8
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM by Wolfgang.)
RE: Problems updating RV under Windows 8
My RV install is based off of a CD. I ran the 1.01 update and it went without error. Version 1.01 has a "Date modified" of: 4/6/2012 8:34 in the properties for rv.exe.

I noted the zip process had a check mark for overwriting files without asking, which I had enabled.

I did this all on the Desktop too btw.

When I tried to do the same thing using just the windows 8 Ui it got funky almost from the get go. IE would consistently fail on the first DL attempt. Then once it's downloaded, the Windows 8 UI doesn't recognize the zip extension - despite my having the pro version installed and it working fine in desktop mode. It asked me if I wanted to search for a program. It's pretty ridiculous considering that I have it already installed. You'd think it would at least ping as a last step the Desktop registry. I guess I could have selected "Search" and picked it out but - it was just easier to drop to the Desktop.

So obviously, Windows 8 Touch UI and the Windows 8 Desktop UI do not share the same registry entries - they overlap but are partially blind to each other too. I had been wondering about that...

I'm guessing you're probably trying this from the Touch UI then? I'd definitely drop to the Desktop and just do the whole thing from there. That *should* work... (plus invoking operations on a zip file may require the system to drop to desktop anyhow which may be contributing to the issue)

I'd also try the winzip utility - there's a free demo version here:
http://www.winzip.com/win/en/downwz.htm
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problems updating RV under Windows 8 - by Wolfgang - 05-07-2013, 07:53 PM