• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Moscow '42 balance opinions thus far?
04-09-2013, 12:25 PM,
RE: Moscow '42 balance opinions thus far?
(04-08-2013, 09:17 AM)Elxaime Wrote: I haven't played the winter scenarios, but have played one of the hypothetical Fall Kreml summer scenarios. Unfortunately, in order to presumably make it more of a "game" e.g. increase the Germans chances of taking Moscow, the Germans have been seriously overpowered and/or the Soviets under-powered. The main issues are unit quality disparities. Unit quality on the German side, per usual, is all A or B except for the minor Allies and some Cossacks. But most of the Soviet army is D quality, with a sprinkling of C. Added to this is a massive disparity in infantry firepower which, again, to me seems a bit overdone. The result is more akin to France 1940, where the terrain and time are the main German obstacles.

I also thought it was important to address this comment. There has been no 'artificial' balancing. For historical context, this is Fall Blau, just directed at Moscow. In the real Fall Blau the Germans advanced all the way to Stalingrad and significantly beyond in to the Caucasus. In game terms that would get you to Moscow in a canter.

The Soviets will have trouble standing up to the Germans in a one on one fight. This is historical. I am in the middle of a campaign game of Fall Kreml where the Germans have smashed the Soviet front line and are able to pour through the gap. Their problem is how far to advance? They have to wait for the infantry to come forward and either broaden the breach or line the flanks as the Panzers move forward. If they don't the Panzer Divisions get spread over a broad area and are then vulnerable to counterattack by the more numerous Soviets. In one spot on the front the German broke through with an unsupported Panzer Division and found that after a day of extended flanks they were forced to retreat due to heavy losses in Panzer Grenadiers due to artillery and air attacks. Panzer can take ground but not hold it and that forces a slower tempo on the game.

The other big difference to other summer Eastern Front Panzer Campaigns is the number of Soviet mobile forces. There is a large number of Soviet Tank Brigades & Corps and these will threaten and harass any extended Axis forces. The Soviets just need to hold the flanks as the Germans have to do all the attacking and are ultimately forced to spread out what initially looks like an unstoppable force.

Finally, the comment of terrain & time being the major German obstacles is exactly right. That is what the whole Eastern front in the first eighteen months was about. Both sides have this conundrum and the Soviets used it to wear down the superior German attackers.

My German opponents may want to add their commentary regarding Fall Kreml so you understand that there are more than just firepower values involved...

David
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moscow '42 balance opinions thus far? - by Strela - 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM