• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A few thoughts on the korean War mod
01-22-2013, 06:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2013, 06:53 AM by John Given.)
My 2 Cents  A few thoughts on the korean War mod
Hi all, so far, I've played the Korean War bootcamp scenarios, (all of them), two regular scenarios (completed) and started a campaign game.

This is a really nice mod, but I really struggle as the Koreans or Chinese on this one - the allied weaponry is really lethal. Reductions by three are common. I have often found that often, the best way to beat a scenario is to do something really unconventional (like avoid the lowlands that contain the objectives and drive through tough back country to get to the exit hex - leaving the enemy force almost intact).

I have mixed feelings on the changes for 2.0 - the new unit into box is a bit tough to read (those little terrain pictures are so tiny) looks like you're going for the "K'talan look," - but it is functional. Btw, I have a big 22" monitor. At first, I didn't like the new 'rising sun' terrain template, but once I realized we had to have rice paddies, I changed my mind. (I only saw the old terrain template / version once right before 2.0 came out though, so correct me if you changed that - the terrain sure looked different to me after I downloaded the 2.0 version).

I did not locate any specific instructions for banzai charges in the readme files - am i to assume the Chinese and North Koreans can make these kinds of attacks? Also, *how* do i make these kinds of attacks?

Overall: fun mod, challenging tactically, nice sound effects and new skins for new units. Very violent scenarios though - each side can nearly decimate one another if you go the frontal assault route in most scenarios I've played. IMO, this mod has every potential of being just as fun as the rest of the JTCS.

P.S. You have to think outside the box many times to win a scenario - which is sometimes a non-violent route. One night time scenario I played (not a boot camp one) leaned heavily allied - firing at point blank range on NK units was pure brutality (I was playing NK - I lost). So there might me some balance issues with a few scenarios (could also be I misunderstood my objectives or maybe I need some serious practice).
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A few thoughts on the korean War mod - by John Given - 01-22-2013, 06:42 AM