• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMx2 tactical notes and observations
01-11-2013, 03:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 03:40 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: CMBN general notes and observations
SCORING AND GAME ENDINGS
I've still not fully worked out the maths behind the scoring, (oh god how i hate maths) but reading about scen creating in the manual, it seems the designers can set certain percentages of enemy troops which must be killed to get extra bonus pts, and can also assign points to obj areas etc, so perhaps the computer randomly allocates such points to QB's, I don't know.
Personally my strategy is simply to kill enemy units and press hard for the objectives in every game and hope I've done enough to win, UNLESS I start taking heavy losses in which case I'd break off the attack and go sulk..

Apart from racking up points for killing enemy units, you can also score big points (the amount varies from map to map) for being the sole occupier of the objective area at the end of the game, but no matter how many units you've got in there, you'll both get zero points if the other player has anything in there such as just a couple of beat-up tank crew, or a light tank or whatever.
Here are some tests I ran to try to figger out the scoring process-

Hiram Sedai (attacking as Germans) and me used our recent QB (which he won) to experiment with the way the games scoring system works.
First we ceasefired prematurely after he'd wiped out 4 of my tanks but I hadn't killed any of his.
Final screen, the Germans have stopped short of the Obj Area (yellow shaded rectangle)-
[Image: hs2-1.gif]

And the computer awards the Americans the victory with a score of 671 to 209.
Obviously the big juicy green tick in the US 'Secured ground' column scored big points for them, because they had units in the Objective area (yellow rectangle) but the Germans didn't
[Image: sco6.gif]

We then went back a few turns and replayed the final few turns differently, and this time the Germans pressed some of their units into the Obj Area, then we hit ceasefire again-
[Image: hs1-1.gif]

And this time the comp awarded Germany the victory! The Americans had a few units in the Obj Area, but by also occupying the area the Germans had ripped the green tick from the US grasp and the area became neutral, with neither player getting points for it, so it was the kill points alone that gave Germany victory!-
[Image: sco1.gif]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, if you run your cursor over the columns in the final stats sheet, 4 other screens come up so you can analyse your points breakdown in detail if you want to.
For example here's the full set of screens for the premature ceasefire when the Germans stopped short of the Obj Area-
Noob note, don't worry about the maths, just let your strategy be
1- to kill as many enemy as you can in every game
2- to be the only player with units in the obj area at the end

[Image: sco6.gif]

[Image: sco7.gif]

[Image: sco8.gif]

[Image: sco9.gif]

[Image: sco10.gif]

And these are the screens for when the Germans pressed home into the Obj Area-
[Image: sco1.gif]

[Image: sco2.gif]

[Image: sco3.gif]

[Image: sco4.gif]

[Image: sco5.gif]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: CMBN general notes and observations - by PoorOldSpike - 01-11-2013, 03:33 AM
RE: CMBN general notes and observations - by Nort - 01-17-2013, 03:16 AM