• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Collateral hexes & asymmetric victory
12-20-2012, 03:15 AM,
RE: Collateral hexes & asymmetric victory
(12-19-2012, 11:59 PM)Jeff Conner Wrote: The collataral hexes are hard to use also. I tried to include them in a couple of Falkland scenarios, but it appeared that the number of victory points given for firing into the hex was either random or determined by something I couldn't figure out. Consequently, it wasn't possible to try and balance the scenarios and I gave up on the idea. I like both of the ideas, however. I may try and design an asymetrical scenario, but I'll have to have a better idea of how it works than I do now.

Jeff

Yeah, I played around with a test scenario to determine how many points you lose when firing into a Collateral Hex, but it was always different.

I think in order to really use them effectively, you pretty much need to make those hexes away from a normal objective, otherwise it will be too easy for the defender to plant his ass on that hex and blast away, knowing full well that the attacker really can't hit that hex very hard for risk of losing major points.

I also only think they'd work well in a modern setting where the ROE are such that civilians and specific buildings, like mosques or churches, need to be avoided. In WWII if the enemy were in a building, down it went regardless of the cost, for the most part.

You can perhaps make a building a collateral hex, marked as a mosque or school, and put a sniper on it, giving you a fit to maneuver effectively, but capturing the reality that hitting a mosque with arty or air support as being a no-go. It would add a bit of reality to the scenario in terms of the grunts having their hands tied by the ROE in a certain theatre. Also gives the defender some 'safe' zones where they know the attacker is probably not going to hit.

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Collateral hexes & asymmetric victory - by TheBigRedOne - 12-20-2012, 03:15 AM