• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW
11-27-2012, 07:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012, 07:40 AM by Wodin.)
RE: Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW
When I get around to buying this I WILL BE DOING A 2D GRAPHIC MOD. Similar to the RV and AOTR mods.

Also I was wondering about trenches...obviously going to ground is alittle odd in a trench as they just have to step of the fire step. So I wonder how thats worked out in game. Also alot of battles had covering MG fire set about a kilometer back from the front lines, I imagine this is hard to do in the game..I may have thought they'd have implemented something like calling support\arty but it's MG fire instead..Heavy MG fire firing over the troops was a major aspect of the big battles. Are mines in game?Also do the British use bats with nails in and the Germans spades in close combat? Are grenades in game from the jam tin onwards as alot of fights where fought with grenades as the war progressed..

Trench question again..when troops took a trench they then had to quickly reverse it so they could fire from it the other side (hence alot of troops where burdened with tools for this job)..is this replicated in game?

Does Gas kill and do we have say Chlorine and Mustard gas? Is gas released through shells and through the pipe system or just through shells? Does wind effect Gas..thinking of Loos here where the gas blew back into the British trenches. Is there a good range of weapons including some of the improvised ones..i.e in Gallipolli Aussie troops used a catapult to fire jam tin grenades into the Turkish trenches?

Does the Arty fire shrapnel aswell as HE? Also Are trench mortars in game and do the British fire the "pineapple" and the Germans the "Black Johnsons" (these could be seen tumbling through the air and the troops had to guess where about it would land and run the other way..it caused a huge explosion and made a massive noise..some things found after an explosion where false teeth and clockwork cogs etc etc..nasty). Are HE shells less potent in mud during the beginning and middle of the War (later more advanced fuses where used).

Anyway when i do buy I will be giving it a 2D makeover..though someone may want todo weapons and vehicles..I will be doing terrain and of course new faces and "boxes".

I was going to say after reading in the designer notes maybe the game would have benefited from going to 100meter hexes..however alot of trench systems where within 20 meters or so..so that wouldn't have worked. Maybe what would have been cool is units that cover more than one hex..i.e an early war German Inf platoon would cover two hexes as it got reduced to half strength it would become a one hex unit...would require alot of major engine changes so I know that was never likely to happen.

Thanks

@miller what fronts are missing? I do believe after speaking with Volcano Man he could have gone on for years trying to cover all battles and is hoping the players make new ones..when i buy it I may do some scenarios..I have a substantial WW1 library though they will be set on the Western front..

@gabeeg Many times troops got pinned and even wiped out in their jumping off trenches through arty. I do agree though I think it's odd that they would get pinned as such by rifle fire, also I think the go to ground is abit odd in trenches..only in an Arty attack would they cower at the bottom of the trench as rifle and MG fire would go over their heads once they get down from the fire step. I think in game when troops are in a trench it should be alot harder to pin them and they should rarely go to ground (though i suppose you have to imagine go to ground also means get off the fire step). I think maybe in this game troops should be less prone to going to ground and to getting pinned than in other games in the series. Not loads but abit. I also agree that troops in a trench should be allowed to move freely within the trench no matter the status. Maybe in a patch?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW - by Wodin - 11-27-2012, 07:25 AM