• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thinking about larger battles.........
08-22-2012, 11:10 AM,
RE: Thinking about larger battles.........
I was giving some of these ideas a bit more thought - probably more than I should - and one of the things I've decidedly come down against is the idea of units in multi-level locations.

I believe that ASL had it wrong; from experience I can tell you that a squad occupying a multi-level building does not stay all on one floor, as is required in ASL. Instead, the proper weapon is sent to the proper location. Team integrity was not even necessarily adhered to; for example, AT weapons went to the upper floors (though not too far up, due to the potential of the round 'disengaging' from the firing mechanism due to gravity while aiming) while the majority of the men stayed down on the ground floor. MG's went to where they could see the most area. The Squad Leader hung around the stairwell, so he could shout instructions and receive reports from the various levels, and it was also normal to shift guys around as needed, window to window and up and down the levels. Ironically multiple squads in the same building resulted in squads taking distinct sides to defend, versus floors. The various weapons still went where they were best employed, not to specific floors.

I think the best solution is that units in an urban terrain hex simply get a line of sight advantage from a generic benefit of height in such a hex. Isn't that how it is right now in SB?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thinking about larger battles......... - by Marc Bellizzi - 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM