• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Request for an Important Thread: "Rules of Engagement for PBEM Games"
04-28-2012, 10:16 PM,
RE: Request for an Important Thread: "Rules of Engagement for PBEM Games"
(04-28-2012, 05:16 PM)PawelM Wrote: HSL,

I will play a bit of a devil's advocate with regard to your expectation how ROE's are set for your game. From your two posts in this thread I read (correct me if I am wrong):

1. If someone has special ROE you expect them to inform you
2. As for your ROE - you say they should just ask if they want to know

Since this is directed specifically to me I will respond specifically to you.
As you know, from the TOP GUN tournament, that I wanted the individual players to discuss their individual rules between themselves prior to starting their game? It was up to each pair to agree to what rules they play by and what ROE's they would agree to?
I don't understand your confusion. If I did it there, would I not also do it for a new opponent? Idea2

(04-28-2012, 05:16 PM)PawelM Wrote: So based on that you expect others to ask for your ROE but do not make an effort to check the same with regard to the make an effort to the same you expect from other.

I've never played you, so I'll assume you have no clue as to what transpires between me and my opponents?
Most of the players I play on a regular basis have had ROE discussions from early on. I do not feel the need to discuss each ROE with them prior to play. I am sure they can look at what I've posted over time and say the same.
Some of the "rookies" that I try to "teach" how to play the game are given ROE pointers as they progress through various scenarios. When I see something in their play that I do not care for, I tell them. It usually leads to further discussion of what the ROE does to make it a more historic and a less "gamey" game to play. I do not think that you will find any one that I have "taught" how to play the game will be using trucks to block, surround, or spot. Thank you 3

(04-28-2012, 05:16 PM)PawelM Wrote: It would be nice to add one more ROE to everyone's set:

if you expect certain behavior or rule observation from your opponents the your opponents have every right to expect the same for you

Behavior and observation?
Maybe I do not understand your meaning with these words? Dont Know

I can assure you that 99% of all my opponents know what ROE's we are using.
Who am I more comfortable, and will have fun, playing against?
A player whose ROE is "I will use all means to defeat you, including spotting with trucks, surrounding with trucks, and blocking line of sight with trucks, taking combat units off the map to deny you points. Everything goes!"
... or ...
the player whose ROE is "I will play the game more as a historical simulation. Everything historical goes!".

Therefore the only behavior I expect is decency.
The only observation (of the rules) I expect is that one let me know if they have a controversial personal ROE.

Cheers2

HSL

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Request for an Important Thread: "Rules of Engagement for PBEM Games" - by Herr Straße Laufer - 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM