• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bite the Bullet Tournament Medal Poll
01-27-2012, 09:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 04:36 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: Bite the Bullet Tournament Medal Poll
I like the second one. The first one is far toooo sexy for the old crowd such as us. Already I hear people fainting around me as they forget to breathe.

Ed: Soap Box

I am reading about the War memoirs of Colonel W. Halsti, a veteran of three wars (Winter, Continuation, Lapland). He records in the book, written in 1972, a dialogue he had with a reporter from Life, who was following the events of eradiction of Germans from Lapland.

The reporter would have none of the critique towards the Soviets, as they were great friends of US and would just need to be understood and interpreted in a correct manner.

Colonel Halsti then replies, in October 1944 and if he actually did that at the time and not at the time of putting his memoirs down, as Vietnam war was raging, it's pretty incredible:

"You do realise, that once you've put down the Japanese and Hitler, you need to become the world police, again? And when you do, the problems you have now are like this (points to a matchbox in the table), and after, the problems are like that (points to a tall fir tree outside the tent)."

Life Magazine reporter, who's name is not revealed, of course would have none of that, at the time.

Later, at the time of Korean War where the reporter was now assigned, Colonel Halsti receives a post card from him: "Sir, the fir tree you pointed to me at the time was way too small!".

Unfortunately, the reporter died in an ambush when doing his work, so he never had a chance to meet him again.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bite the Bullet Tournament Medal Poll - by Crossroads - 01-27-2012, 09:21 PM