• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some questions about France '40
12-27-2011, 07:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2011, 05:46 AM by Archijerej.)
RE: Some questions about France '40
@jonnymacbrown
Well, since I've played only small scenarios so far I generally avoid firing at Germans on my turn, because the loss of time that I can cause on him is far more valuable than the insignificant attrition. Besides, I'm a sensitive man, and I hate seeing my soldiers cut to ribbons ;)

As for other issues discussed, I think that a close to historical result in France '40 could be achieved using different methods. For example: decreasing of HQ units quality to represent problems in command and control system. If a player wants to be an Allied commander in a desperate situation of may 1940 he could just choose to play a campaign with fixed units and reinforcements arriving on historical moment. There is no reason that the desire for "historical effect" should affect smaller scenarios, when the French (or any other army) had put up a good fight. This in fact is my main issue with Panzer Campaigns series. It doesn't take the full advantage of its potential to be a great operational, as well as TACTICAL game. A player, having mastered a couple of "tricks", can otherwise behave completely recless, because he knows that on tactical level his battalion can rout a brigade. This is one of the reasons I've quit playing Campaign Series, where a German platoon in the open could destroy by fire a Soviet one, entrenched in the woods, without even being affected. Don't get me wrong, the Germans SHOULD have high values, the quality and quantity of their automatic weapons, mortars, infantry guns were excellent. Also the tactics at platoon and squad level, that can only be represented in abstract numerical manner in PzC, were great. But there is a wide sphere of tactics that should be left to the players and their abilities and knowlege. A designer should most carefully think of the actual combat situations and TERRAIN. Would a German battalion in the open, without artillery support, really engage a Russian battalion, equipped with large quantity of lmgs, hmgs and mortars, on a wooded hill without expecting to suffer heavy losses? Or would it rather wait for support or try to find a flank? Would tanks assault it, because a player had spread out his infantry to thinly and now he's thinking "aaaah, doesn't matter. they're ditrupted so I'll just force them out of position with a panzer charge into the trees". Should you really be able to locate entire enemy line, with infantry hiding in the woods and AT guns among the buildings, without drawing their fire or sending patrols first? These are the issues that, according to my uneducated intuition at least, should be easily fixed and would raise this game to a new level getting rid of the annoyances that can be really frustrating.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Some questions about France '40 - by Archijerej - 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-27-2011, 01:02 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-27-2011, 08:33 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-29-2011, 01:43 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by FM WarB - 12-27-2011, 02:03 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by smurf309 - 12-27-2011, 03:46 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by smurf309 - 12-27-2011, 06:02 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Archijerej - 12-27-2011, 07:37 AM