• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ostfront Tourney Fog of War question
08-19-2011, 09:27 AM,
Ostfront Tourney Fog of War question
My opponent brought up an excellent question to which I wasn't sure of the answer. What are the house rules / common etiquette regarding the knowledge you have from playing both sides in a mirrored game?

You can't help but have a "rough" idea of intel that wouldn't be normally available to you (e.g., locations of units, mines/traps/obstacles, available weapons, etc.). However is it appropriate to take advantage of that knowledge - such as firing indirect weapons (such as mortars and remote air support) into areas near the starting positions, avoiding areas where you know the starting positions of mines or enemy units, moving units from locations which you know won't be threatened to areas you know will be, etc.?

Specifically the issue that raised the question was that I had my Russians fire indirect mortar fire to where I thought the Germans would be approaching. The Germans moved first, so they were no longer in their initial positions, but I had a pretty good guess as to where they'd go. A few enemy units were in sight, but I still had a feeling I was getting into a gray area when I fired my mortars and wasn't sure if it was legit to do so or not. My opponent held back from firing his Russian mortars, so that obviously gave me an unfair advantage based on how we approached the fog of war. Being that we are only one full turn into our mirrored games (we both had vacations recently), it's probably best we just start over.

However just to make sure we all are on an even playing field, it would be good to know to what extent players should "erase" their knowledge of their opposite mirrored game when making their moves.

Thanks in advance!
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Ostfront Tourney Fog of War question - by Rabbit - 08-19-2011, 09:27 AM