• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A few infantry-related questions
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM by John Given.)
A few infantry-related questions
Guys, I'm curious about some details regarding how infantry units work in the JTCS. Here goes.

1. When units try to dig-in, do they have the same chance to create an IP regardless of terrain? It would logical for this to be so.

1a. Do all non-engineers have the same chance to dig in? I.E., to SS Panzergenadiers have a better chance than Russian cavalry infantry to create IP's per turn?

1b. Do infantry units with more strength points have a better chance to create IP's than low-sp units?

2. I like the new minelayer engineers, but I disagree that they can only lay one mine, and then they become useless. I would think a better solution is to make the unit go low ammo when it makes a minefield, but can lay another field as soon as it recovers from low-ammo status. I would think that a vehicle of some type should be used to facilitate the creating of multiple minefields for a given minelayer platoon, but I was not sure if this could be coded into the game.

In short, the minelayer platoon badly needs to have the ability to make multiple minefields - though at a fairly slow rate (one every 2+ turns). Is there any chance these minelayers will be improved in the future? And what do you, my fellow wargamers, think about such a change?

3. I really like the construction engineers, but in my opinion their chance to make a block or a trench needs to be upped somewhat. Six failures in a row is kinda annoying, and in short scenarios, a potential game killer. Anyone know what the percentage chance is that construction engineers can make field works in a given turn?

3a. Do construction engineers with more strength points (sp's) have a greater chance to make something, compared to a low-strength platoon? If so, by about how much?

4. Shouldn't low strength or specialized anti-infantry infantry (snipers) have a chance of NOT becoming spotted when they fire, in a way similar to smaller-caliber AT guns (and for the exact same reason)?

5. I have noticed that early war German engineers have a very high anti-armor attack, whilst other nations engineers often have a weak anti armor attack even later in the war. Why are german engineers so powerful in this regard? Should we consider a German engineer that has a weak attack vs. armor until panzershrecks became available?

Comments?
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A few infantry-related questions - by John Given - 06-23-2011, 10:50 AM