• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Really Rumbling on the Mius
06-09-2011, 11:13 AM,
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius
In this game I used two or more engineer units together as teams. They pack a much bigger punch than used individually. I even added in some rifle BNs from a division when I needed them to add bulk to an assault by the engineers. Just be sure to watch your organization. All units in the assault must come from the same org (tree) or there will be a coordination penalty that is pretty stiff. Read the rules on assaults to figure this part out.

Go back to the first post in this thread and read again my analysis of the units. Not all game titles or mods use the the same unit values. Be sure you know what you are working with. In M43 these particular Russian engineers are assault engineers (known by their high assault factor). Some engineer units in some game titles are just mine lying /lifting, bridge etc special duty troops whose assault factor is very low. That is because these special troops were not meant to be shock troops.

Always when looking over your forces at start and as they come in as reinforcements, check the numbers for H/A, S/A, and assault.

As an illustration of this point, if a unit has an assault value of 23 but a S/A value of 12, why ever fire the unit in direct fire or place it where it will use defensive fire? With a nearly double assault value over the S/A value in this extreme example this unit is an assault tool. Use it to take ground either on attack or in counter attack to plug a hole. Do not waste it in direct or defensive fire where it will could go low ammo. A low ammo result affects that beautiful assault value by reducing it 50%!.

In SNAFU's example above, it will take the full stacking limit in each assault to have any effect on the defenders. If the defenders were A quality in the bunker, isolation and hopefully low ammo from defensive fire, will drop them to C morale. That still gives them an advantage until you can fatigue them to yellow (+100) fatigue points. Remember, that defenders all assume the morale of the best unit in the hex against assault. Thus it may be impossible to get a quality edge until the defenders lose an assault. Use maximum stacking limits, (as close as you can get) while keeping all those assaulting units the same morale level. This is crucial. Attackers in assault take on the morale for all units equal to the lowest assaulting unit. One E morale can spoil a stack of C or D morale units in an assault attack.

This assume PzC stock unit values. In K42, I have no idea how one would reduce those bunkers the German 6th Army starts in with the poor H/A values of the Russian infantry and artillery in VM _alt versions. There must be something else the Russians can use to root the Germans out of those bunkers in that case.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Really Rumbling on the Mius - by Dog Soldier - 03-12-2011, 01:43 PM
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius - by Dog Soldier - 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius - by Dog Soldier - 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius - by Dog Soldier - 06-05-2011, 10:25 AM
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius - by Dog Soldier - 06-06-2011, 03:24 AM
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius - by Ricky B - 06-06-2011, 05:14 AM
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius - by Mr Grumpy - 06-06-2011, 07:56 AM
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius - by The SNAFU - 06-07-2011, 04:20 AM
RE: Really Rumbling on the Mius - by Dog Soldier - 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM