• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs
06-06-2011, 05:25 AM,
Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs
I have been playing HPS SB games for about a month now or something, "SAW" and "DBP" mainly and only recently I had a look at "Vietnam" and "Tour of Duty" or , be it - "The Pacific War" - to consider my future including them in my PBEM gaming.

Particularily in the previous two titles mentioned above I have found some quite shocking discrepancies in regard to what I know from my studies in military history of different periods and theaters.To give a quick example I would point to both "LZ X - Ray" and "LZ Albany" scenarios - in both engagements participated two sister batallions from 7th Cav Bde, 1st Cav Div ( airmobile ), 1/7th and 2/7th respectively , commanded by Lt Col Moore and Lt Col McDade - that part of operation "Silver Bayonet" was a part of a larger a few months long battle of the Ia Drang Valley in Cetral Highlands, RVN in 1965.

Nevertheless, in the game scenarios there's no such formations or figures ( with the exception of the scenario entitled "LZ X- Ray: First Contact". Moreover, throughout "ToD" appears such nonexistent division as 11th Air Cav ... What the ...?

That freaked me out; I have developed a strong fondness for military history and the exact knowledge of facts over the years and wargaming has become a part of my research hobby along with books and documentaries. In both "SAW" and "DBP" I haven't found such grave simplifications or omissions so far ( I am not going as far as to study the dates and combat deployments to such extent thus I allow some minor mistakes ... It's absolutely natural I think ... ) and I was surprised to see such well known subject treated in such lightheaded manner.

Has anobody playing other titles in the series traced any similar deliberate mistakes? ... I know it's only a game and the whole thing is about having fun, but we do not play dumb shooters,eh? Besides there are games who do not lack both the factual historic backgound and still provide the fun factor ... Why not create a hypothetic skirmish rather than give a false form to a historic event? As a history and realism freak I feel a bit disappointed and betrayed: I chose the games to be able to retrace some well known battles, operations and clashes only to find thet now the scenarios a sought for are a kind of ersatz ... That's unfair a little, isn't that?

What do You think? ...
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by burroughs - 06-06-2011, 05:25 AM
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by Wolfgang - 06-06-2011, 06:35 AM
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by -72- - 06-06-2011, 02:53 PM
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by TheBigRedOne - 06-07-2011, 02:15 AM
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by Wolfgang - 06-07-2011, 03:28 AM
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by TheBigRedOne - 06-07-2011, 03:52 AM
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by Wolfgang - 06-07-2011, 04:15 AM
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by Dog829 - 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs - by burroughs - 06-08-2011, 12:22 AM