• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare
02-09-2011, 05:35 AM,
RE: Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare
"A game design that puts the cohort as the smallest tactical unit will no longer be truly a tactical level game. It's certainly true that it's not reasonable on the game's scale to suppose that a cohort can be reduced to one hex. If you want a game on a fine scale like this, you have to be willing to break down the cohort. It's a fundamental design decision. If you feel that it violates the history of Roman military organization intolerably, fine, but you're essentially missing the point".

How do you figure? The tactics of the period were by cohort; period. Next up was the legion; period. The maniple no longer existed as a tactical unit on the battlefield.

Putting out a game that in no way represents the tactics or organization of the period is a serious design flaw. I pointed this out sometime back to Paul and that is when he told me about the programming issues and platform restrictions.

It seems that the issues that were prevalent with the design team back when I was involved have still not been addressed. That's a shame.
Paul had a real opportunity to produce a historical simulation that could give players the real feel of the great battles of antiquity. With Punic Wars, he did just that.

Unfortunately, it stopped there. Paul is a great guy, but for some reason he has continued down the road of the maniple, which the original concept was designed for, and it is only a very brief period in military history where the maniple was a consideration.

The entire game platform and engine needs to be reworked, and Paul was informed of this quite a bit back.

As it is, he has a game, which is in no way representative of the warfare of the period, for which much of the game covers.

That's a real shame.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare - by RADO - 02-09-2011, 05:35 AM