• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare
02-09-2011, 01:56 AM,
RE: Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare
(02-06-2011, 01:44 PM)TJD Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 08:49 AM)Vincent Wrote: 51 views and not a single response?

I guess Ancient wars aren't popular for PBEM. Strange considering the AI is quite weak, in my opinion.

Has anyone ever considered adding a Field of Glory ladder here?

Vincent:

Suggest you look at the Wargamer forum for Ancient Warfare - that's where the action is. The Blitz, unfortunately, is practially dead.

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tt.aspx?forumid=237

Klaus, Brian: given the little traffic here and your evident disinterest, I suggest that you give serious thought to closing this forum and redirecting traffic to the Wargamer.

Tim

Seems to me the other forum you mentioned appears pretty dead as it only had 9 new threads in Jan & two in Feb thus far. Could it be a measure of the popularity of the game, or lack of?

I played Punic Wars, Gallic Wars, and Alexander by HPS and IMHO there were a couple of significant issues within the system that needed addressing. I don't know if Paul has ever done so.

I thought that Punic Wars was excellent as it represented Roman organization as it existed at the time (maniples). Unfortunately, the game platform did not allow for restructuring of unit strengths to historical organization in other periods. In Caesar's time, the smallest "tactical unit" on the battlefield in the Roman army was the cohort of some 300 to 500 men. The maniple existed only "on paper" and maniples were not separate unit command designations (contrary to one of it's advocates by the name of Al).

The game allows you to combine maniples into larger untis but once done, the frontage is totally skewed because of the ground scale of the hexes (20 yards or 20 meters to the hex IIRC).

One other item that was being addressed when I was involved was the 3D zoom out view. I don't know if Paul & Dean ever got that done. As it was, the only "battlefield" view was zoom out in 2D, at which point all one had was a "boardgame". The 3D that was in the game was great, but was only available on a very tactical level.

Perhaps the biggest issue IMHO that needed to be addressed was the turn sequencing that required multiple emails back and forth for the resolution of a single turn. I felt that this needed to be revised so that a complete player turn be made in a single player iteration.

Paul has the basis of an excellent game system but IMHO, there were significant issues that needed to be addressed on the game platform before additional titles were produced and released, and that simply did not happen.

cheers
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare - by RADO - 02-09-2011, 01:56 AM