• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Planning Maps for Dien Bien Phu now available
01-12-2011, 04:01 AM,
RE: Planning Maps for Dien Bien Phu now available
(01-12-2011, 03:07 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Good looking maps. Is it possible we could see Squad Battles campaigns in one scenario in the future? Before anybody starts off with it being too many turns etc, doesn't appear that much difference between one long scenario vs a bunch of amller ones strung together without much control over decisions and deployments in between? I think it would be great to be able to play entire battles or campaigns on one large map. Stuff like Dien Bien Phu, ACW campaigns etc. They would also make great team games. People will play them.

The too many turns thing doesn't seem like an issue on the surface, but designing a massive scenario would be quite an undertaking, especially when it comes to coordinating things like reinforcements, withdrawals and the like over a huge number of turns. Forget about having any AI scripting.

For example, a two-day battle would be somewhere close to 5-600 turns (12 turns equals one hour of time). I can't imagine coordinating all the design elements that go into a regular scenario into a really massive one. Playtesting a behemoth like that would also be quite labor intensive and probably take more time than the team has to push out 40-70 scenarios per commercial release.

I think buyers of the series would prefer a large number of well-crafted scenarios than a couple of massive ones mixed in with a much smaller number of 'regular' ones, especially since there are probably more people who buy the games and play solo than there are folks who PBEM.

I just don't think a scenario on massive scale covering a couple of days of combat is all that feasible for a commercial release. The largest scenario I've ever seen is a behemoth VN scenario which simulates 1 full day of combat. It has been played once here on the Blitz.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Planning Maps for Dien Bien Phu now available - by TheBigRedOne - 01-12-2011, 04:01 AM