• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AAR: Modern War "The First Battle"
01-08-2011, 02:22 AM,
RE: AAR: Modern War "The First Battle"
(01-07-2011, 10:50 AM)jomni Wrote: In my first play I was afraid to move the Abrams near the objectives for fear of an RPG attack. But looking at your AAR I guess that's what the smoke dispensers are for. Block the enemy's field of view during his turn. :)
Those Vehicle Only rounds don't do much. But agree that the SMAW is the best weapon to Disrupt / Pin the enemy.

One major mistake I did during my first playthough is I did not mass my Marines before assault. I all the previous squad battles games, I don't stack a lot of units in a hex as it meas more will get hit by enemy fire. But unlike the previous Squad Battles, you are organized into fire teams instead of squads so a one unit assault vs. an Iraqi squad is suicide. Looks like staking them won't hurt so much.

I ended up with a Draw. I will replay the scenario soon.

Also noticed that the Quality special option is turnded on. I don't usually turn that on but I think that's necessary for this game right?

I typically play with the Quality Loss Modifier on, as it adjusts units abilities based on their morale level. Higher morale a fairly sizable advantage, as you would expect. An A morale unit should probably fight better than a C or D morale unit. It simulates a higher level of training and unit cohesion and how that would play out on the battlefield.

Something to think about.

The SMAW is a nice weapon but keep tabs on its effectiveness. Joao made it less 'reliable' in order to simulate the fact that you don't have endless amounts of rounds for that particular weapon. Three shots in one turn and it's effectiveness is usually down below 70%. At that point it's best to hold fire and allow the 'rest and refit' to take effect, that is as long as your unit isn't being fired on in the enemy's turn.

You can switch the M-1's round to HE, which should have a much greater impact on infantry targets. The SMAW also has multiple rounds which can be adjusted based on your target.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
AAR: Modern War "The First Battle" - by Rabbit - 12-31-2010, 07:52 AM
RE: AAR: Modern War "The First Battle" - by Nikb - 01-02-2011, 06:25 AM
RE: AAR: Modern War "The First Battle" - by jomni - 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM
RE: AAR: Modern War "The First Battle" - by TheBigRedOne - 01-08-2011, 02:22 AM
RE: AAR: Modern War "The First Battle" - by jomni - 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM
RE: AAR: Modern War "The First Battle" - by jomni - 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM