• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question regarding how Supply is calculated
12-31-2010, 01:02 AM,
RE: In Supply, once again
(12-31-2010, 12:07 AM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: Thanks again, Earl!

Can you comment about the chain of command? Does it pay out to have the platoon in range of the whole chain, or is it enough that 3rd platoon is within 1st platoon, which in turn is within the Bn HQ, which in turn is in range of the Rgt HQ?

In other words, is there an advantage of having all the HQ units close enough to cover the front line units?

I think the chain works from the top down as listed in your OOB file. Example a division hq supplies regimental hqs beneath it(and battalions or companies attached to it). They in turn supply Battalion hqs beneath them. Battalion then supplies company or platoons beneath them. Manual explains the benefit of keeping company units within range of their hqs. So, every turn division hq will check with base supply if it fails it is out of supply wether it moves or not. Regiment will check with division and if it fails it will check with base (I think). Battalion should work the same way. Platoons will check with battalion using the company adjustments. If they fail they have no where else to check and will remain out of supply.

Simply put supply traces from highest HQ down to lowest. So if you have a corps hq it only needs to be within range of it's division hqs. Regiment hqs only need to be in range of Division, and battalion only needs to be in range of regiment. So, I think there is no real benefit to having all your hqs bunched close together or too near the front.Altho doing that will raise the % of gaining supply for the lower hqs.

The main reason I rarely use battalion hqs in large scenarios or campaigns is they have the shortest range of supply. If the los is long say as in the steppes they have to be in los to be within minimum supply range. They are also worth the most vps and easiest to kill. Lastly they will no more than get within range and have to move again. Regiment will work just as well as long as you move all the companies out of their battalions and keep them under the regiment in the OOB file.

Lastly, and this is just my opinion, most scenarios with a supply of 70 or 80 are way too high for what was realistic in most battles(esp on the EF for Germans). Tanks dont run forever; bullets don't last forever; and men get fatigued when they fight except on the electronic battlefield.

If I am wrong here I am sure someone will correct me but, I think this is how it works for the most part. Of course that could be why my record is so poor :-)

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In Supply, once again - by Von Earlmann - 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM
RE: In Supply, once again - by XLVIII Pz. Korp - 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM
RE: In Supply, once again - by Crossroads - 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM
RE: In Supply, once again - by Von Earlmann - 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM
RE: In Supply, once again - by Crossroads - 12-31-2010, 12:07 AM
RE: In Supply, once again - by Von Earlmann - 12-31-2010, 01:02 AM
RE: In Supply, once again - by Crossroads - 12-31-2010, 03:24 AM
RE: In Supply, once again - by Huib Versloot - 12-31-2010, 04:13 AM
RE: In Supply, once again - by Crossroads - 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM
RE: In Supply, once again - by Von Earlmann - 01-09-2011, 10:22 AM