• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Which optional rules do you typically use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Quality Loss Modifier
22.62%
19 22.62%
Optional Assault Results
2.38%
2 2.38%
Optional Fire Results
2.38%
2 2.38%
Helo Hovering
22.62%
19 22.62%
Alternate Fire Density
9.52%
8 9.52%
Alternate Ending
14.29%
12 14.29%
Vehicle Fire Over
26.19%
22 26.19%
Total 84 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which optional Rules do you typically play with?
11-18-2010, 01:38 AM,
RE: Which optional Rules do you typically play with?
As far as I'm concerned, Quality Loss Modifier shouldn't be an optional rule, it should be part of the over-all game engine. Troops with better morale represent better trained and equipped soldiers. They should have their effectiveness raised.

That said, Vehicle Fire over and Helo Hovering also make good sense in most situations.

Alternate Fire Density is something I've struggled with, in general. In the games that were made before it came out (VN through Korea, I believe), it probably shouldn't be used at all. Games after that which represent more conventional warfare, like Winter War and RV, it probably shouldn't be used either. In my estimation, it's reserved for a more asymmetric battlefield, like SAW. I know for a fact that any and all design and play-testing from Winter War forward did not utilize Alternate Fire Density, but if you like to try new stuff, then go ahead. I usually never PBEM with it.

The optional fire and assault rules are nice if you don't like wild and crazy results in your games, since it averages two die rolls into the final result. Personally, I like the potential for something extraordinary to happen because real combat isn't a series of die rolls. Weird stuff happens, both good and bad. There's always a huge random factor, and I think that smoothing out the data over-rides that, IMHO.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which optional Rules do you typically play with? - by TheBigRedOne - 11-18-2010, 01:38 AM