• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
11-03-2010, 07:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:42 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
Turn 2

[Image: 281bdde6ac2Dzoomout_German_side.jpg]

French commander (Foul) turn 2 thoughts
Rick goes very aggressive on turn 1 pushing his cavalry units forward to try to gain some ground, the cavalry combats are bloody but inconclusive, i hope to make him pay for that strategy as cavalry units will soon be fatigued trying to hold ground against infantry battalions, now he can see the strength of my divisions advancing i expect him to fall back trading time for ground.

In the north i decide to split the 1st Cavalry Corps either side of the Canal de Lens to add firepower to my push at the Harnes river "triangle", it will be another two moves before the full weight of this Corps makes itself felt.

In the centre the 70e & 77e divisions are crossing Vimy Ridge to engage Rick's cavalry screen and push for Fresnoy and Vitry, if he does not fall back i believe he will suffer significant casualties.

In the south the 20e division has occupied the northern ridge and pushed a few km beyond, however the 19e division has only just made the southern ridge and several units are still in T mode, my main concern for the next move is if Rick can gain a foothold on this ridge imperiling my defense of this area.

German commander (RickyB) turn 2 thoughts
I saw the masses moving up in various areas. I did still launch some cavalry attacks - had a good one in the north that killed/captured over 200 men (all cav) at the cost of about 46, and destroyed 2 MG units. I am adjusting my plan, stepping back in the center or grabbing the better terrain, while trying to buy time for infantry to move up. The south saw the appearance of lots of French infantry, so I tried to move up close to the deploying MGs and guns where I could, see if I can chase them back or leave them a bit vulnerable, I hope, next turn.

[Image: 4496f639d7Turn2_zoomin_Germanside3.jpg]

Observer (Volcano) thoughts
Not much to report yet. The I.bayer.Reservekorps is coming up to the front -- it will be interesting to see how they are committed. In the south, contact is being made on the ridges and in the center, the Germans are falling back in front of the French advance. The Germans are attacking toward Lens early, but don't seem to have anything in the north. The French could cross the canal up there and threaten Carvin (the far north German VP hex), or they could make a dash for the exit hexes (the latter is doubtful, but could yield a handful of points. It is recommended that the Germans send something north ASAP to block the canal, and to (ideally push across).
A perfect unit for this would be Jaeger-det.Petersen, which started in Douai, but it is being committed in the frontal attack on Lens, where it might get a good effect.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: France '14 AAR Turning the flank !! - by Mr Grumpy - 11-03-2010, 07:24 AM