• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Carpet Bombing
08-13-2010, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2010, 07:57 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: Carpet Bombing
(08-12-2010, 10:58 PM)Ricky B Wrote: ...As with most uses of rules in a way they weren't designed for specifically, the result is what you see - and my big concern is they can be deadly against a big stack, but then always a pleasure to see an enemy CB attack wander into the dropper's own troops.

Well, actually "carpet bombers" have appeared "normally" in PzC long before I put them in the _Alt scenarios (and it wasn't just for the planned level bombers in N44). As a random example, the Blenheims in the stock F40 game are "carpet bombers" and there are many other examples from the stock games where carpet bombers are used outside of N44. So needless to say, I don't feel like I am using them in some unintended way. All I merely did was made some logical standardization out of the chaos so that instead of having some bombers in some PzCs as "carpet bombers" and the same such bomber in another PzC as a "bomber", I simply decided that all real world bombers of the period who were classified as "level bombers" should be "carpet bombers", and this works logically IMO.

In regards to medium level bombers, which I have given the carpet bomber type to, these things were not surgically accurate, and when they did hit a target you are talking about lines of bombs spread out over some distance so it makes perfect sense to have the attack across the whole stack in a measly 1km hex (and it is the only way to discourage the mega stack without all the other Alt rules). The medium level bombers did fly and bomb across the battlefield without some sort of heavy planned strategy because they were used tactically, unlike the events of Operation Cobra with the use of the B-17s.

I agree though, if someone does like my use of carpet bombers then by all means change it in their OOB. I always like the unplanned element in regards to these bombers, but I recognize too that some people want a level of total (and unrealistic) control over everything in PzC.

(08-12-2010, 02:00 PM)Marquo Wrote: Carpet bombing (US MIlitary Dictionary)= The intensive bombing of a designated area in a close pattern by many aircraft, usually B-52s, as though laying a wall-to-wall carpet. In World War II the term denoted bombing campaigns designed to clear wide areas for advancing troops.Also called saturation bombing

Well, OK, that is the literal definition of carpet bombing but it has no bearing on PzC. All the name "carpet bombers" do in PzC in the unit type is determine a method of how they are resolved so that they are scattered and the attack is applied across the entire stack. It has nothing to do with wall to wall B-52s on preplanned missions or whatever some such literal definition. What I mean is, the Carpet Bomber unit type does not magnify the power of the bomber unit in any way, it only effects its accuracy. Sure it applies it across the entire stack in a hex, but I would think that this is offset evenly by the fact that it rarely if ever hits the intended target. Now if you have large dense stacks in a large concentrated area of many hexes to where your enemy "can't miss" then I don't see why 10+ level bombers wouldn't indeed cause destruction. The funny thing about these bombers is that their effectiveness has less to do with with their ability than it has to do with whether or not massive dense targets are presented to the enemy.

If (in B45_Alt) the bombers are coming in twice per day (not sure how you know that?), then it sounds like air availability *might* be set too high, but I doubt it (it seems to be 20% for Germans which is pretty standard), although I would consider lowering it in the B45_Alt scenario if someone made a convincing argument about it on the vmods.com forum. All the Germans have at their disposal for air power are their 10 or so He-111 air units of 13 planes, so I don't see why you think they are showing up twice a day when he might just be spacing them out. It just sounds to me like you might be a little frustrated? Can you not just avoid making large stacks so that it marginalizes the effectiveness of the bombers completely?

Still, there is a known problem of someone using level bombers in such a way that they save / replay the turn until they strike the intended large stack hexes every time. These strikes miss quite a bit so if you are seeing multiple bombers hitting the same stacks repeatedly are bombarding the front line hexes near enemy units without ever hitting their own troops then you have to wonder why they are so accurate. I used my Italian level bombers in Compass '40 and all I manage to hit is fish in the Mediterranean!
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Carpet Bombing - by Marquo - 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM
RE: Carpet Bombing - by Mr Grumpy - 08-12-2010, 10:33 PM
RE: Carpet Bombing - by Ricky B - 08-12-2010, 10:58 PM
RE: Carpet Bombing - by Mr Grumpy - 08-13-2010, 03:49 AM
RE: Carpet Bombing - by alaric99x - 08-13-2010, 04:11 AM
RE: Carpet Bombing - by Mr Grumpy - 08-13-2010, 04:54 AM
RE: Carpet Bombing - by Volcano Man - 08-13-2010, 07:19 AM
RE: Carpet Bombing - by Ricky B - 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM
RE: Carpet Bombing - by Volcano Man - 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM