• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Newbie can't hit broad side of a barn
07-19-2010, 05:49 AM,
RE: Newbie can't hit broad side of a barn
You will only get the hit indicator if the unit you are targeting is in a clear hex, or some other terrain where you can 'see' the results of your fire. If they are in a village or forest hex, you can't necessarily see the results, and you won't get a hit indicator, even if you did cause casualties with your fire. Most shots don't cause casualties, you cause the greatest casualties (to yourself as well ;) in assaults, but the effects of fire are cumulative, so you want to keep it up in order to disrupt or pin the enemy unit before you assault.

A textbook assault goes like this: The enemy unit is sitting on a 50 point objective in a improved forest hex. You are dropping 82mm mortars shells on him, and your MMG is also firing at him. You don't see any results fromthis fire, but keep it up anyway since you are lowering the enemy units effectiveness and morale with each shot, which moves them closer to being pinned or disrupted. You move up your platoon of sappers, and toss your satchel charges at him. This is a good way to pin the unit, and will usually cause some casualties. You pin the unit, and assault with 2 squads. The enemy unit takes a lot of casualties, runs, and you win the game. It's easy in theory anyway... :)

This thread has some good links in it to discussions on tactics and how the engine works: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=56214

Good luck, and welcome to the Blitz!

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newbie can't hit broad side of a barn - by Mad_Dog - 07-19-2010, 05:49 AM