• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Extreme Assault Tactics - What Works Best?
06-30-2010, 04:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: Extreme Assault Tactics - What Works Best?
(06-30-2010, 07:29 AM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: There you go Mike all summed up (again) in 6 bullet points.

Thanks HK! :thumbs_up:

The piece of information where all units need not to be disrupted was especially a gem.

Took my own medicine, and reread the Assault_Explanation.doc at manuals folder again. It's all been gibberish, some of it still is... for me at least, that is!

Regarding disruptions, based on your comments this is now starting to make sense to me:

Essentially, when a hex full of units is attacked by an assaulting force, the game takes count of all the factors of the attacker vs all the factors in the defending stack. It also takes count of the number of counters (units) in the defending hex and evaluates them for various conditions like armor assaulting into an urban or open hex, fortifications, modifying terrain, etc. For our new processing I also had the software sum up the different morale values of the different units and derive an average based on the number of units in the defending stack. If any units in the stack are disrupted, their morale level is counted at a -3 of what is shown in the unit information box. This has the adverse effect of lowering the average morale of the stack and presents a realistic problem for the defender.

Apparently, there is a 15% chance of assault succeeding anyway (and a 10% of it failing anyway?). That is roughly one in seven charges that will succeed:

The odds based combat results table is the real gem in all of this for while it still makes it harder for assaults conducted at below 1:1 to succeed, it also allows the worst case attack a 15 percent chance of victory over the defender. This is also reflected at the top of the scale where the defender still has at least a 10% chance of defeating the attacker. And then no matter what happens, it is always possible that the defender might either fail or pass his morale check and completely negate the odds based die roll.

So what does this all mean to the guy playing the game? Simply this, nothing is as predictable as it was before. A player can plan his odds of success, and yet, no matter how well he plans, he may still lose. Or else he can try an enormous gamble that might otherwise be doomed to failure, and see it succeed.

And there's lots of more of this in the doc, I can not say I still would fully understand all what was being said there...

Regarding tactics: when in doubt, nuke'em until they glow? :kill:

cheers

(06-30-2010, 12:30 AM)Scud Wrote: It helps to keep the hex surrounded too, cutting off their line of supply.

On another note, what are the effects for cutting a unit off from supply, besides the ammo level? Does it effect the morale, for an example? Or some other factor besides ammo level or morale?

I tried to find more information from the manual, but no luck ???
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Extreme Assault Tactics - What Works Best? - by Crossroads - 06-30-2010, 04:00 PM