• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question for Strela (Korsun V4)
06-16-2010, 07:41 AM,
RE: Question for Strela (Korsun V4)
Strela and VM

• The parameter file (PDT) has had range attenuation adjusted with no reduction for direct fire over 1 hex. This helps German AA, AT & Panzers attain kills at a distance but keep in mind visibility and terrain will ensure that this benefit is rarely available. Small units such as Marders suddenly become useful.

Commenst on this point

I just want you to know this is an excellent idea and I have had it in my Minsk game and EA42 game since outset. Most of my oob uses the alt values and my scn are based on the alt versions- thanks VM.

Now I am not saying that 2 or 3 hex these weapons are the same penetration but a unit is considered deployed over an absrtract area hence ZOC .You can model the superior range only by the method you and I have used. The 1/2 or 1/3 was never working well. It was a waste of time

In both my games I have found that the opportunities for 2 or 3 hex fire come up a bit more than you may think and it really makes the Russians think ( though they have some ranged guns as well ) . AT guns work much better now when deployed where they can use their range .

But now the 88 and other high velocity guns are now respected for their range , that is why the Tiger was good as it was, it was the tactic of using the guns range and its good optics that made it deadly not its armour , which after all was not that great ( side and rear ) .

In my current game ( Turn about 30 in M44 ) 501 Tigers ( in my game it starts depleated but can recover currently on about 30 Tigers ) have destroyed 36 Russian tanks for the loss of 4 ( some of those Russians were ambushed first and surrounded so its a bit distorted ) but I reckon 1/3 of those have been at two hex range and about 5 at three hex. I think I have had two turns of getting to fire at 3 hex and one of those was defensive fire by accident, three fires = 3 T34 !

To balance things up , I reduced the HA range of all enclosed guns with poorer observation abilities ( Stug, SU ) to 1 hex, regardless of gun. These types were used for defence or for ambushes. Turreted tanks should always have superior abilities or they would not have been built and all Panzer units would be full of Stugs. But I left all open toppped semi soft Nashorns etc as they were . These units were vulnerable yes but they never intended to find themselves in range , they engaged from as far away as possible .

Does this sound right?
Looking forward to time to play your V4

Cheers
CC
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Question for Strela (Korsun V4) - by Indragnir - 06-14-2010, 10:13 AM
RE: Question for Strela (Korsun V4) - by Strela - 06-14-2010, 06:20 PM
RE: Question for Strela (Korsun V4) - by Strela - 06-14-2010, 10:35 PM
RE: Question for Strela (Korsun V4) - by Strela - 06-15-2010, 01:05 AM
RE: Question for Strela (Korsun V4) - by Strela - 06-16-2010, 01:35 AM
RE: Question for Strela (Korsun V4) - by cavalry corps - 06-16-2010, 07:41 AM