• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MapMod for First World War Campaigns
06-02-2010, 09:59 AM,
RE: MapMod for First World War Campaigns
(06-02-2010, 06:21 AM)Sch Wrote:
(06-02-2010, 03:36 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: I will second what Foul says. If you do not like the original graphics or any of the mods for graphics, make your own and share them here with the community.

I would much rather the HPS guys spend their time on all the excellent research they do for these games.

Dog Soldier
This is the kind of attitude why these games are only available for only a very limited audience.

And this is the kind of attitude why these games -if they remain unable to evolve- will eventually extinct.

Well, these games haven't gone extinct yet even though they did look mildly good (from memory) back in the Talonsoft days, it is the substance that matters. Besides, I don't see what the problem is since they are open to modding. Everyone has their own opinion on what they think is "good looking", especially in this genre full of, well, more mature people (no offense to anyone's age). Besides, who is to say that in some far away time that the same games don't get graphical face lifts and a new engine and voila, they have new life? Anything is possible, it is not as if these games will ever die off in my opinion.

Not to mention, it goes back to the old argument of invest before revenue or get revenue to invest. In case you haven't noticed, these games aren't exactly making anyone rich. The big concern in investing money in artwork is that there will never be enough money made to pay for that expense. On the other hand, there are those that think that you invest that money in order to get more sales and better revenue, but the latter is a risk as it is directly related to how many strategy game developers have went tits up / out of business in that they never made back the money they spent on the investment.

Quote:The start of a new series (the ww1 campaigns) would have been a good opportunity to release a product with a new look.
But naaah, lets just keep the engine we used in the past 20 years.
Why change?

In F14's defense (imagine that), there was a great deal of desire to improve the looks and I think that has been achieved. Of course it doesn't look as good as Jison's complete mod, but there are reasons why that could not be official and I am just grateful that Jison agreed to do the 2D artwork that is in the stock game. I think it is a nice balance of old and new so as not to push anyone completely off the deep end, but that is just my opinion. IMO, Jison is probably the most talented artist I have seen in a long time and we are lucky that he is making mods for the community and we are also lucky that the game is easily "moddable" so that we can pick and choose what we like, like some sort of salad bar or something.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
MapMod for First World War Campaigns - by Jison - 05-29-2010, 03:03 AM
RE: MapMod for First World War Campaigns - by Sch - 06-01-2010, 02:39 AM
RE: MapMod for First World War Campaigns - by Sch - 06-02-2010, 06:21 AM
RE: MapMod for First World War Campaigns - by Volcano Man - 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM
RE: MapMod for First World War Campaigns - by Al - 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM