• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First World War Campaigns: FRANCE 1914
05-30-2010, 10:00 AM,
RE: First World War Campaigns: FRANCE 1914
(05-30-2010, 08:29 AM)Foul. Wrote: [SNIP]
Even in PzC where you have demonstrated that "straddling" is not as effective (assuming you have engineers handy) i think this rule would still be useful as anything that makes straddling less effective is a positive move IMO. :)

Darran,
Yes, I can see the value in the FWW F14 title for this new rule. Makes sense as you said. I wonder if it makes storming the Yser canal easier for the Germans.

I just want to point out that there are many ways to handle this defensive tactic in PzC. The defensive tactic of "straddling" came about because attacking players could storm bridges pretty easily when defending units are placed in the exit bridge hex.
The rule is not needed IMHO in PzC since there can be unintended consequences for the defenders, weakening the defense again in PzC. Weakening the defense is not a good idea since the offense side has so much power.

Take a situation where you line up some attacking units next to the "straddled" defenders. Consider that grid line is running perfectly north - south and so if the river. ZOC of the attackers now control both empty hexes at either end of the bridge which is in the adjacent hexes to the south and south east. Now the defenders are at a disadvantage already due to the attacker's ZOC extending across the river. This restricts the defense from redeploying easily. Why make it easier for the attackers?

Under this new rule, I can send a unit across the bridge in T mode ignoring the defender's ZOC. Next turn I take them out of T mode and assault the defenders to open the bridge for more attackers to pass.
In WW2, this was very rarely done. The need for engineers to ferry a unit across the river to strike the defenders on the opposite shore was much more common. Since bridges in PzC are hex side objects, there is no way to simulate the obstacles that usually were thrown up by the defenders to prevent a rush across the bridge. Even some barbed wire would slow an infantry assault force so the defenders could pin them or drive them back with fire power.

You mention the need for handy engineers. Well partisans will do the trick in a pinch. Move the partisans into the far end bridge hex. They will then pin the defenders (negate the ZOC) so you can roll your T mode unit over the bridge. Same result as the new rule, except the attacker has to plan ahead.

I have now shown three ways to beat the "straddled" bridge defense. It just is not that hard if you really plan ahead that such a defense will be there when you want to try and cross a bridge. The defensive tactic is pretty minor, IMHO and easily over come.

Bridges are a confined space with little or no cover. Rushing across one under fire was only done when the enemy consisted of a small (10 man) or less bridge guard that was surprised by a ruse of some kind.

Then there is the whole can of worms for this rule to consider about how this would apply to full water hex bridges in some titles of PzC. Can I cross a hex side bridge across a river but not a full water hex bridge? Do I get more defensive fire chances to stop the attack rush on a full water hex bridge than a hex side river bridge?

I think more thought is required before promoting wholesale the porting over of rules from a new title in a different era to PzC. The idea to do is intriguing. The rule of unintended consequences says take time to noodle this out some more.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: First World War Campaigns: FRANCE 1914 - by Dog Soldier - 05-30-2010, 10:00 AM