• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Effective use of Artillery in SP WW2
03-10-2010, 10:08 AM,
RE: The Effective use of Artillery in SP WW2
(03-10-2010, 08:01 AM)2ndLt_Fjun Wrote: Very nice stuff. Now when you gave the tricks away I think the battles will be harder to win :rolleyes:

Cross Wrote:13. Almost all of your artillery should be plotted to support one infantry company at a time. Not plotted at multiple targets all over the battlefield.

Depends on the situation. What troops you are facing is important. Elites with high morale would require a heavy concentrated barrage to be affected. Early war Russians run away from a few bursts of medium mortar fire.

True. I re-wrote that one 2 times. I think I was trying to get across the importance that artillery - like other forces - must be used in a concentrated manner. It is a good discipline to use concentrated arty; but once you've learned the drill and are a veteran, all disciplines may be stretched, overlooked and sometimes ignored. :whis:

(03-10-2010, 08:01 AM)2ndLt_Fjun Wrote:
Cross Wrote:23. Mortars are inaccurate and their bombs land in a wider spread, which means they are not suited for close support (150-200m ahead of friendly troops) or for stonking small targets (Atk guns, MG nests). Use more accurate artillery for close support and small targets.

Very interesting. I don't agree with this one at all. I find light and medium mortars very accurate, in particular if you bring them along with your troops and don't have them firing near the maximum range. With the high ROF they are extremely effective as well.

To be fair, my mortars are usually well back, and I rarely get an FOO with LOS for close support. Perhaps you are better at using a LOS spotter than I am. :rolleyes:

I try to use the long barreled 4.5inch with excellent accuracy (10) for close support. The accuracy of almost all mortars is 3, compared to 6 or 7 for most artillery.

cheers
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Effective use of Artillery in SP WW2 - by Cross - 03-10-2010, 10:08 AM