• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Change of Personnel in the H2H Section
01-25-2010, 07:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-25-2010, 08:15 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
RE: Change of Personnel in the H2H Section
Peter,

Philosophically, H2H is about quality, not quantity. I've seen dozens of scenarios that were crap. Which is why H2H exists.

It is a systematic attempt to weed them out and give players a tool to assess a scenario. If a scenario gets the club's approval, several sets of eyes should have reviewed and played it. The intent is that the feedback process affords the scenario designer an opportunity to create a better scenario.

Unfortunately, over time H2H suffered from not enough support to pump through the scenarios.

Consider it a Seal of Approval from the club. Too often a scenario is created and it never gets played because it just isn't there. Few scenarios are good right off the shelf. They need work.

A little history from the 90's. No scenario was released by Talonsoft without extensive play testing. What we are wanting to recreate is the dynamic interaction between scenario designers, gamers, and scenario development. I've seen what it can do when it is working. We've had many designers improve their ability through the process. So, even though it is about the scenario, it is also about giving a scenario designer support so he can elevate his game.

I also consider H2H a scenario designer development process. Over the years, I have seen a lot of designers appear. IMHO it takes time and feedback to develop their skills to the point where they consistently create quality scenarios. I've observed many scenario designers elevate their ability through the use of the H2H process.

Keeping the game alive is all about creating new scenarios and making sure they are good for PBEM. This is our effort to get a team process going. Over the years, I have seen much success. Our new push is to get the system operating again as it should.

If a scenario lingers it is because not enough players step up to review it. If we want the game to stay alive and remain vibrant we need new quality scenarios. To accomplish that we need to develop good designers who communicate with players in a development process.

I hope that helps you understand what the intent of H2H is. Many people put in an effort to make it work, but we need to get everyone pushing in the same direction. All of us are busy, but if we all pitch in we'll have some quality scenarios pumped out. Wanting to lead by example, I've picked up a scenario in H2H to playtest. It is a good scenario and with with a little feedback it'll be an excellent scenario.

If enough folks dive in, it isn't that hard to pump better scenarios out. I know it takes a little effort, but IMHO it is well worth it.

If the game was played and extensively reviewed by others, as in the case you mention. If the players were club members, then I think we can see about validating it through H2H without additional work.

Regards,

Jim
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Change of Personnel in the H2H Section - by Jim von Krieg - 01-25-2010, 07:55 AM