• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Soviet reconnaissance, artillery, and Air defence
07-27-2009, 12:01 PM,
RE: Soviet reconnaissance, artillery, and Air defence
PincerDK Wrote:
Quote: At least when I was in, back in the late 70s early 80s, the radar primarily worked on doppler effects, basically meaning they showed movement. It was very ineffective in picking up statinary units, the key was to see things moving and thus be able to determine where things were headed, but rarely to know what you were seeing, or to see it when sitting still - but that was fairly early generation systems in the US Marine Corps also.

hmmm...interesting. did the Marine Corps have any equivalent to the radars found in the soviet recon battalion (Tall Mike radar)
or some kind of portable radar?

No idea how the radar may have compared in capabilities, etc. So I really can't answer that, beyond saying the the US Army would have had more state of the art equipment, probably better than the Soviet equipment, and the Marines a bit older stuff, maybe equivalent to the Soviet radar - but purely a guess there. It has been a LONG time since I was in and I never worked with any of the radar my knowledge of them was strictly from classroom training at OCS.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Soviet reconnaissance, artillery, and Air defence - by Ricky B - 07-27-2009, 12:01 PM