• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AAR: Eagles Strike - Buchholz Station
06-23-2009, 09:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM by Rabbit.)
RE: AAR: Eagles Strike - Buchholt Station
Turn 4 Germans:

START OF TURN:
[Image: Turn4G1.jpg]

After moving units south/southeast, it appears I have encountered the front of the US lines. At this point forward, I should expect to draw fire every time I move a unit and therefore I am trying to take advantage of terrain and protection as much as possible.

The lower left-hand objective is at the top of a steep ridge. I have started moving squads up the ridge. The two squads on the far left-hand side in adjacent tree hexes are both machine-gun squads. I plan to use them to provide cover for my squads ascending the ridge, trying to pin down the two US squads immediately below the objective as well as any US units that might climb to the top of the ridge before I get there. I have unstacked most of my units except for ones that are in good protection. I also have most of my leaders in the hex behind their associated squads. This formation keeps the leaders close to their troops without getting shot. Units that get pinned or disrupted can always drop back a hex or the leader can move forwards to get their morale back up.

Note there are only four turns remaining in this scenario. It is critical to start thinking about the end of the scenario a number of turns beforehand. Moving in Ground Mode, moving uphill, getting pinned/disrupted, etc. can often limit your movement to just a single hex per turn, so you must get your units positioned properly in time for your final assaults.

By the way, it finally dawned on me to edit the images to add lines denoting movement and firing. Red denotes firing. Green denotes movement. (Although I accidentally used blue for movement in one of the future screenshots.) Assaults are denoted by a thick green line with a thin red inner line.

FINISHED MOVE:
[Image: Turn4G2.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
AAR: Eagles Strike - Buchholz Station - by Rabbit - 06-23-2009, 08:52 AM
RE: AAR: Eagles Strike - Buchholt Station - by Rabbit - 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM