• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AAR: Eagles Strike - Buchholz Station
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2009, 05:57 AM by Rabbit.)
RE: AAR: Eagles Strike - Buchholt Station
Turn 2 Germans:

START OF TURN:
[Image: Turn2G1.jpg]

Remember the golden rule that "he who tries to conquer everything, conquers nothing; he who tries to defend everything, defends nothing." I would venture to guess that the most common mistake veteran players make in Squad Battles is to simply move their forces forward and attack all fronts, engaging enemy positions as per the natural "flow" of movement and opportunity seems to take them. As the attacker, you need to have a significant advantage over your opponent in order to displace him. Unless you have a significant upper hand overall (that is, the scenario is lopsided in your favor or you know you are that much more skillful than your opponent), you usually need to create the significant advantage by concentrating your forces rather than attacking all fronts at once.

With the above in mind, I decided to go fully after the lower objective with the hopes of also getting the middle objective. Feeling the need for haste and having not encountered any US forces yet, I kept my units out of Ground Mode for one more turn, though this might backfire greatly if there are US troops waiting in ambush. (Based on the very short scenario length, I am assuming the scenario designer is allowing the Germans a turn or two of unhindered advance. This is not always the case, but sometimes you have to take calculated risks.) I unstacked my forward facing units in case they encounter enemy forces, while my rear forces are still stacked in order to continue advancing quickly.

FINISHED MOVE:
[Image: Turn2G2.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
AAR: Eagles Strike - Buchholz Station - by Rabbit - 06-23-2009, 08:52 AM
RE: AAR: Eagles Strike - Buchholt Station - by Rabbit - 06-23-2009, 08:56 AM