• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gurkha's settlement rights
05-22-2009, 08:41 PM,
Gurkha's settlement rights
Nepal's ex-Gurkhas cheer British settlement rights
1 hour ago

KATHMANDU (AFP) — Retired British Gurkha soldiers in Nepal on Friday hailed as "historic" a British announcement that the veterans can settle in Britain.

The British government said on Thursday all of the Nepalese fighters who retired before 1997 and had served at least four years with the British army could now apply for residency.

"This is a historic achievement for all Gurkhas," Jit Bahadur Rai, treasurer of the Gurkha Army Ex-Servicemen?s Organisation, told AFP.

Gurkhas who retired after 1997 -- when their base was moved from Hong Kong following the territory's return to China -- already had the right to settle in Britain and more than 6,000 have done so.

But a vigorous lobbying campaign led by British actress Joanna Lumley, whose father served with the Gurkhas, had demanded that all 36,000 of the Nepalese who served with the British army before 1997 also be eligible.

"The new decision has made us proud. The British government has finally given us respect," said Rai.

The British government was forced to change its stance after being defeated on the issue in a parliamentary vote last month.

"We'd been fighting for our rights for the last 15 years and our dreams have become true. It took us a long time to get to this point but we're very happy," said Rai.

Til Bahadur Gurung, 65, one of the former Gurkha soldiers who has been waiting for years to go to Britain, said he welcomed the announcement.

"My visa application was rejected three times by the British embassy in Kathmandu which said I didn't have strong ties with Britain," said Gurung, who served for nine years in the British army as a rifleman.

"Finally we've won the battle for our rights. I feel like this is a tribute to the courage, loyalty and sacrifice I made while serving in the British army," Gurung said.

"I will begin the legal procedures to get a British visa soon," he said.

"We were never against the British government. We were just fighting against the unjust and discriminatory practice in the British army," he added.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Gurkha's settlement rights - by Jim von Krieg - 05-22-2009, 08:41 PM
RE: Gurkha's settlement rights - by Lowlander - 05-23-2009, 01:55 AM
RE: Gurkha's settlement rights - by Hedgehog - 05-25-2009, 08:19 AM
RE: Gurkha's settlement rights - by Kingmaker - 05-23-2009, 02:01 AM
RE: Gurkha's settlement rights - by Jobu88 - 05-24-2009, 09:23 PM
RE: Gurkha's settlement rights - by von Krieg - 05-25-2009, 11:12 PM
RE: Gurkha's settlement rights - by nikoda - 05-26-2009, 01:15 AM
RE: Gurkha's settlement rights - by Von Luck - 06-21-2009, 07:50 AM