• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
11-23-2008, 05:11 PM,
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
Cross Wrote:
animal mother Wrote:But serious now: I think that idea with a basic and an advanced rule is quite good. Everybody could choose what suits them best.

Cheers
Michael

I think you are right Michael.

If I could put forward a preliminary suggestion for a Basic FOO Rule:

1. Only FOOs may plot artillery; unless you have no FOO (because of unavailability or attrition) in which case your AO unit may plot.

2. One target ‘sheaf’ per FOO.

3. FOO may plot a sheaf by targeting guns within 2 hexes of any other plot.
FOO can cluster his guns, plot them in a line, a circle and even a curve, as long as each plot is within 100m of any of his other plots.

4. Whenever a FOO chooses to correct or adjust fire, he must plot his guns according to rule number 3.

Said I was going to butt out but you are sort of getting somewhere so my version

1)Units allowed to call in a fire mission
Only FOOs may plot artillery; unless you have no FOO (because of unavailability or attrition) in which case your AO unit may plot.
NOTE This means your AO unit may only plot if you have no FOOs & no other unit may ever do so.

2) Fire mission units involved
2A) A FOO may only have one fire mission at a time so if it wants to target elsewhere it must first cancel its current fire mission.
2B) All guns from a Battery must be used on the same mission
2C) Any number of Batteries may take part in the mission
2D) It can add or cancel Batteries to that mission

3) Fire missions target
A Fire missions plots must be placed as follows
3A)All plots must be within 2 hexes or less of any other plot from the same Battery.
3B)If more than one Battery takes part it must use the same plots as the first battery.
NOTE This means plots can have a max of 1 hex between them & the total no of plots cannot be larger than the number of guns in the biggest Battery that is involved.

3) Simplified as Battery size varies
A Fire missions plots must be placed as follows
3A) A max of 3(4?) plots may be placed & they must all be placed within 2 hexes or less of another plot.
3B) If more than one Battery takes part it must use the same plots.
NOTE This means plots can have a max of 1 hex between them & the total no of plots can be from 1-3(4?).

4) Correcting (adjusting) fire missions
The FOO may adjust the mission target according to rule 3)
NOTE this means once you have finnished moving the plots they must have followed the same rules as you use to place a new mission.
This may mean that some guns may not fire this turn as you must maintain the grouping.

To Sum Up
1) AO May only call in a fire mission if you have no FOOs
2) Only FOOs & AO may call in a fire mission
3) Each FOO has 1 Fire Mission consisting of a max of 3(4?) plots.
When you end your turn these plots must all be within 2 hexes of each other or less.
4) All guns in a battery must be used in the mission.
5) The mission may be made up of any number of batteries & you may add or cancel them at any time.

These rules will allow people to place a limited dispersal patern if they wish. They will also limit chasing units as have to maintain grouping.

My view is all in one hex is unrealistic but allowing a dispersal pattern of more than 3 targets also is as game adds spread already as less accurate than is realistic. Also you have to limit from a policeing point of view.

Why not try it to see if works. If it gives to big a spread try with all must be adjacent to another plot. If spread still to big then we are back to the original rule but at least we have explored the options.
Somebody get off the fence please the original work that went into this is exellent but thats not to say its right yet so lets play with it a bit more & include artillery placement.

To the 1 hex target camp try it, to the spread camp forget terminology like sheafs & accept in the intrests of making usable can only have limited dispersal. As to things like creeping barrages forget it they would be a special case starting & ending on specific turns.

If we can't play nicely as suggested 2 versions could be done but lets agree folks for the sake of tourneys & the like.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule - by Imp - 11-23-2008, 05:11 PM