• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik!
11-20-2008, 12:37 PM,
RE: New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik!
WOW! Great information!!!!!!!! I wish I had this when I was designing the scenarios! My Lebanese OOB came from Anthony Cordesman and Abraham R. Wagner's "The Lessons of Modern War," Volume 1, The Arab-Israeli conflicts, 1973-1989, pages 293-304. I suspect some of the forces you mentioned may be in here under a different names and factions.

As far as the Druze are concerned, I assume the majority of the Druze militia are fighting north of Beirut. BTW as I as assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq at Beirut International Airport in 1983 I have less than warm feelings toward Mr. Walid Junblat for rather obvious reasons!!!!! May the :censored: SOB rot in Hell!!! :angry: :mad: Fiery

Off my :soap: and back to the scenarios, as I'm sure you well know the alliances are constantly shifting in Lebanon and trying to come up with a decent OOB is like hitting a moving target, blindfolded in the dark during a hurricane (good luck). Eventually as a designer you have to make a decision and produce the scenario with the best information you have available. I think if you read the Readme file on the OOB (the early zip did omit it but its in there now) I even stated that the OOB for Israel and Syria is the best I could do but I'm sure they are wrong. Until the IDF Spokesperson mails me an official OOB it's just educated guess work, and I'm not going to hold my breath for an official OOB. Another thing to consider, that is an abstraction in these scenarios, is its not like all of the militias modeled in the game would just all make nice and start working together against an Israeli invasion. It didn't happen in '82 and near as I can tell it didn't happen in '06. So the scenario is an abstraction in that regard. Bottom line are all of the militias properly modeled well as you have pointed out NO! If I do another game with Lebanese militias modeled I am going to ask for your expertise if that is OK with you. To me there real question is this, does the OOB go a long way toward modeling the fractured nature of the militias in Lebanon in 1985, I hope it does.

I never have a problem with Someone tinkering with scenarios I design. I'm not going to update the OOB myself as I have another project in the works, but if you do please give it a different name and send me a copy I'd like to see and play it. Not to be standoffish but these scenarios have been six months of my free time and I'm ready for a bit of a change. When you design a scenario and play test it so much you get a bit tired of it. I know that sounds weird but after play testing each on several times to play balance and tweak the A/I its like doing a Masters Thesis.

Also your English is a heck of a lot better than my Arabic (which is non-existent) so never apologize! I look at it this way if you speak three languages you're Tri-lingual, if you speak two you're Bi-lingual, and if you speak one you're and American! Big Grin

Very Respectfully,
Al Sandrik
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik! - by Mr Grumpy - 11-05-2008, 05:26 AM
RE: New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik! - by Xaver - 11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
RE: New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik! - by Xaver - 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM
RE: New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik! - by Xaver - 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM
RE: New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik! - by Spud - 11-07-2008, 08:22 AM
RE: New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik! - by Xaver - 11-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Zip file for missing artwork... - by sandrik - 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
RE: New Mideast 85 pack by Al Sandrik! - by Xaver - 11-19-2008, 11:45 PM